From our SEL column, here are eight observations about writing and testing pay-per-click ad copy. They're broad generalizations, but we've found them generally accurate.
- Copy is a 2nd-order effect.
- Bad copy hurts more than good copy helps.
- Ad copy is disproportionately interesting to senior management.
- Copy should sell you, not the SKU.
- Click-through isn't conversion.
- When testing ad copy for conversion, use duplicate-adgroup design.
- Use stats to distinguish signal from noise.
- Test shouts, not whispers.
Join the Discussion