We took a look at "Market Share" of the big three engines over time and saw some interesting trends. A couple of notes on the data:
- The benchmark we're using is advertising expense not impressions or traffic volume.
- We looked at Paid Search only, not content or banner deals
- We studied the advertising network, not strictly the engine's domain.
- Our systems are engine agnostic: our clients do not set engine budgets, indeed most don't have budgets at all. We allow money to flow based strictly on where traffic can be purchased within efficiency tolerances.
- It appears that since last August, Yahoo! has regained some ground.
- Google seemed to get a larger holiday kick than the others.
- Even with MSN Cashback and MSN's willingness to buy Market Share from Google -- I'm sure others saw Google ads for Live Search on high traffic KW, yes? -- MSN gained no share whatsoever.
Join the Discussion