SEO Content Lead
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The SEO Content Lead role operates within Merkle’s SEO division as part of the client services team. The role has ownership and direct responsibility for providing the strategic direction, thought leadership and departmental development of the methodologies and processes that scale content marketing initiatives for SEO clients. This role also has some crossover into content marketing and strategy on client accounts that are not specific to SEO. The SEO Content Lead engages with client service delivery teams to execute on content marketing for a portfolio of existing Merkle clients. Business development and presenting in pitches are an integral part of the role, as is client interaction and being a core contributor and leader for the SEO division. This position will provide input to help evolve Merkle’s SEO offering, as well as contributing to the processes, policies and procedures around content marketing and SEO. Must be proficient with collaborating and integrating across enterprise departments, such as Business Development, IT, Marketing, Social, Paid Search, Display, Creative and HR. Must understand the user journey, especially as it pertains to organic search, and how to craft compelling content strategies that align with performance marketing and create results.
- Leads Merkle’s SEO content offering in the conception and delivery of an innovative, results-oriented content marketing offering
- Provides thought leadership, develops client relationships and is regarded by the client as an expert and trusted advisor supporting their day-to-day content marketing initiatives
- Experienced with the user journey, searcher behaviors, and in how to create content marketing campaigns that drive results
- Collaborates with SEO Directors, Account Managers and client teams in integrating, developing, and executing content marketing strategies for a portfolio of clients
- Responsible for meeting client expectations on timelines, deliverables, performance reporting, competitive intelligence analysis and other follow-up items related to content marketing campaigns
- Keeps clients and agency counterparts informed on latest developments in the SEO content offering and potential implications for clients
- Frequently involved in client pitches and presentations
- Seeks departmental efficiencies through technology, tool usage, automation and partner relationships
- Actively supports and participates in agency recruitment activities
- Oversee and manage SEO content team members
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related discipline
- 5-7 years in roles of increasing responsibility in digital media and marketing
- 2+ years of management experience
- Skilled within the digital marketing landscape with a demonstrated understanding of the intersection between SEO, content, and social
- Demonstrated ability to lead clients strategically and tactically in content initiatives within SEO engagements
- Experienced in cross-channel digital marketing utilizing content, PR, media, promotion planning, SEO, and social channels (and tools) to drive positive searcher experience
- Experience with user experience (UX), wireframes, information architecture, optimal landing page, and taxonomy
- Content creation/creative experience (video, audio, written, custom graphics, etc.) a plus
- Experience with latest toolsets including digital analytics, web data (BrightEdge, Conductor, SearchMetrics, Adobe stack, Google Analytics, Coremetrics, Omniture, Google Webmaster Tools) link research tools (Majestic SEO, Open Site Explorer, Ahrefs, Kerboo), and demographic insight tools (comScore).
- Solid project management skills and capable of managing client expectations
- Strong independent decision-making and organizational skills as well as within a team environment
- Communicates passionately and clearly and is credible with C-level executives
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, with proven problem analysis and solving capabilities
- International digital marketing experience a plus
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.