Senior Data Engineer
Merkle | Aquila is a data analytics company focused on extracting the maximum value from data, translating it into decisions which empower our clients to take better actions.
We are a growing team based in Edinburgh, London, Derby and Bristol. As we expand into new markets, we are always on the look-out for talented and experienced practitioners to work on a number of exciting projects. We offer a relaxed but dynamic environment, with a culture of mutual respect and support. Our people love working here because of the interesting variety of our projects, the great people and the freedom to deliver.
In June 2017 we joined the Merkle organisation as part of its drive to become a worldwide leader in personalised data-driven digital marketing. Merkle, part of the Dentsu Aegis Network, is a major Global player in this market, and together we are working to build a unified operation to deliver best-in-class services worldwide. Together we are working to build a uniﬁed operation with market leading capabilities.
SQL - AWS - AZURE - SCALA - SPARK
Based in Edinburgh with occasional travel to client site
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our growing Data Engineering team at Merkle|Aquila to focus on delivering solutions to clients. Successful candidates will understand modern data platform architecture and have solved complex technical problems to deliver to clients’ requirements. You will be a competent team player, developing simple and straightforward solutions that are scalable, utilising appropriate technologies and engineering best practices.
Life as a Senior Data Engineer at Merkle | Aquila
In this role you will have the opportunity to work with clients from a wide range of sectors, understand their specific requirements, liaise with data scientists and analytical consultants, and design, develop and deliver technical solutions. You will typically work with a few clients across stages of maturity, allowing variety in your work and the opportunity to pick up new skills as needed. You’ll work alongside industry leading cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, and GCP, BI platforms like Tableau, Power BI, Thoughtspot and Data Science platforms DataBricks, Qubole, Lytics and many more. You will do this as part of a dynamic, highly skilled, and flexible team working on exciting and challenging projects.
A few of the benefits
· Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle | Aquila social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too!
· Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Company Pension, life insurance, health insurance and other corporate benefits
· 28 days Annual Leave plus your birthday off
· Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
· Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month!
· Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
· A selection of other industry standard benefits
What we are looking for in you
You will have a deep understanding of distributed computing, data and application architectures, basic networking, security, and infrastructure with a strength in writing great code to produce production-strength data pipelines and scalable systems. A knowledge of Big Data with a focus on data engineering; optimising data, pipelines, ETLs, data modelling and analytical tools are a plus.
· Considerable demonstrated experience in Cloud computing (one or more of Azure, AWS, GCP)
· Experience of Spark, Scala and SQL. Python experience beneficial but not essential.
· A strong understanding of data modelling, data structures, databases, and ETL processes
· Dev Ops such as Continuous Integration, Automation, Infrastructures as Code, Cloudformation, and Teraform
· Experience of code management systems (ideally BitBucket or Github)
· Cross functional team work internally and with external clients
· Strong project Management and organisation skills
· Understanding of relational and non-relational databases and when to use them
· Continuous integration using Jenkins
· Analytical solution design and development, including algorithms and data feeds
· Full Stack; Databases, Servers, System Engineering and Client management
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Maths, Physics Degree or demonstrated equivalent
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.