Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Project Accountant is responsible for fulfilling the project accounting and cost accounting requirements for projects, including day-to-day interface with project management, client and contractor personnel.
- Project Set Up: Create and maintain project structures and complete project setup within financial system in accordance with corporate policies. Review contracts to ensure proper set up of contract type, revenue recognition, billing, etc.
- Billing: Create and maintain billing schedules. Ensure accurate and timely client invoicing in accordance with client requirements/contractual provisions. Review tax application where applicable.
- Forecasting: Maintain monthly revenue forecasts/schedules in coordination with the project manager ensuring forecast timing aligns with anticipated timing of revenue recognition.
- Revenue Recognition: Recognize revenue in accordance with corporate revenue policies. Partner with the revenue team on complex projects.
- Month End Close: Execute on all month-end responsibilities within expected timelines. Ensure all revenue and related expenses are accurately posted to projects prior to the end of the month. Review and maintain balance sheet accounts (WIP, deferred, unbilled, etc.) for respective projects.
- Reconciliations: Reconcile all project activity and other assigned balance sheet accounts.
- Project Closure: Ensure all projects are closed within the system to prevent future transaction posting. Ensure all balance sheet accounts are cleared/closed out (A/R, deferred, unbilled, WIP, etc.). Communicate to the G/L team the need to dispose of any fixed assets.
- Client Team Support: Partner with Project Managers and other business team members, providing excellent customer service and project data. Meet regularly with Project manager and provide recurring, valuable insights into financial performance and document any gaps or changes to project plans.
- Reporting: Distribute standardized reporting to assist business teams with client and project management
- Other Ad hoc Projects and Requests
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 2-3+ year’s experience in Accounting
- Month end close experience
- Excellent change management skills
- Advance Excel Skills
- Strong, effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to resolve complex operational and accounting issues
- Highly motivated, self-starter
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
Experience with MS Dynamics 365 a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.