Director, Media – Paid Social
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 4,400+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with additional offices in the US, Europe, and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
This position presents an opportunity to market a rapidly-growing segment of the entertainment industry, with the backing of one of the world’s largest entertainment conglomerates.
As the chosen candidate, you'll lead an innovative, fast growing business unit focused on revolutionizing paid social and digital display media planning and buying, in the context of a multi-channel data driven approach. We are looking for an innovator who understands digital marketing, paid media, and technology. You'll identify business objectives and corresponding media solutions resulting in engagement, consideration and conversion among our clients’ target audiences.
You'll also provide regional leadership to our growing LA office and lead digital media efforts for our clients to build innovative media campaigns. This senior position will report to the VP of media and partner with experienced digital marketers on the client side, including VPs, Directors, and Sr. Managers, to develop profitable performance-based marketing campaigns. Responsibilities include leadership for end-to-end digital marketing program strategy, development, and management for clients as well as SME for business development and product/service roadmap.
- Drive positive relationships and growth with a major entertainment client
- Serve as Paid Social subject matter expert
- Design and champion innovative, sophisticated media strategies and campaigns that deliver against the client’s goals and drive unique value for our clients
- Provide direction to the media services, platform, and capability resources, especially in troubleshooting paid social campaigns
- Development of management and measurement frameworks to steer and monitor program progress and success
- Ensure the successful development and growth for assigned team members and contribute to career planning
- Articulate and strategically deliver consultative messaging – both written and verbal – to senior leaders
- Contribute thought leadership content to promote Merkle’s voice in the industry
- Drive engagement across teams and create an environment of open collaboration and recognition
- Key contributor and driver of all of the media execution process documents, platform usage playbooks, training programs, optimization best practices, etc.
- Consult with individual client teams as needed to ensure best practices are being used and to brainstorm new approaches to achieving client goals
- 7+ years of experience in managing large-scale paid social and other digital media channel budgets.
- Passion for technology, with hands-on-keyboard expertise in paid social platforms along with extensive knowledge of the ad tech ecosystem (DSP, DMP, AMP, SSP, SEM)
- Demonstrated client management and consultative selling skills as well as the ability to interact at all levels of management, including the executive level, to advocate and influence in support of a vision and direction
- Experience managing and overseeing paid social and other online marketing programs, projects, and teams in an agency, consulting, industry, or software / service setting
- An entrepreneurial spirit, desire to "change the game", a self-starter, and thinks outside of the box
- Ability to think on your feet and manage dynamic situations and environments
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including an analytic and fact-based approach to problem-solving
- Works effectively in a fast-paced, energetic team environment
- Experience managing, developing and hiring talent
- Ability to travel 20%-30%
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.