Senior Application Developer (Java/Python)
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 25 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data,technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. When combined with its strength in performance creative and media, Merkle creates customer experiences that drive improved marketing results and shareholder value. With more than 4,100 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland with 16 additional offices in the US and 8 offices in Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Developer is responsible for the development and implementation using either Java or Query Language in a Hadoop environment.Merkle's solutions enable our clients to better communicate to their customer and prospects across a number of marketing channels and media. Once hired, the qualified candidate will be immersed in the development and maintenance of our customer data integration, digital data integration, and knowledge base products.This will include the opportunity to work with a cross-disciplinary team across various divisions of our Enterprise Solutions Group.
- Building and maintaining complex code
- Performing thorough unit testing on all code prior to releasing to QA.
- Contributes and shares knowledge/expertise with other developers and project team members
- Develops code to meet design specifications
- Contributes to the reusable code library
- Reviews and performs QA/QC on code developed by other team members
- Accurately estimates level of efforts required for development tasks
- Participates in design reviews
- Documents code
- Writes user and technical documentation
- May perform design tasks depending on the project
- Qualified individuals possess the Merkle attributes of being smart, curious, committed to vision, passionate, fun/pleasant, an achiever and having a sense of urgency
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Computer Science or related IT field or relevant professional experience
- Solid Java and database development experience
- Unix shell scripting and command line skills, and/or Python
- Strong knowledge of software engineering and development methodologies, techniques, and tools, including Version Controls (Subversion), Issue Tracking (Jira), and Software Development Lifecycle (waterfall; agile)
- Strong knowledge of data structure and algorithm is an absolute must
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in database marketing a plus
- Experience with Big Data/Hadoop a plus
This job description is a summary of the essential functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description. Other duties, as assigned by the supervisor, might be part of the job.