Paid Search (SEM) Manager
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 4,400+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with additional offices in the US, Europe, and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The SEM Manager is accountable for successfully managing paid search campaigns for enterprise-level clients. This team member works under the direction of the Director, Paid Search and in coordination with a variety of cross-functional team members. The primary responsibilities in this role is to be the go-to resource for our clients, successfully lead the day-to-day strategic management of complex and sophisticated Search campaigns; direct, motivate, and mentor the account team; and act as the central hub of collaboration and problem solving across various departments/resources all the while delivering against aggressive client objectives. A successful person in this role is smart, ambitious, willing to roll-up their sleeves, and won’t stop until the goal is achieved. We’re seeking intelligent people who can passionately represent Merkle, develop the strategy behind category defining Search programs, ensure superior service delivery to our clients and engage in a manner that ensures a trusting and lasting relationship.
Search Campaign Management:
- Perform day-to-day campaign activities for enterprise level Paid Search (PPC) campaigns, including: bid management, budget allocation, forecasting, performance monitoring, strategic testing, campaign expansion, etc.
- Act as the main point of contact for the client, internal departments, and third party providers; Guided by your Director, Paid Search, you will spearhead collaboration, facilitate discussions, planning, and project management
- Contribute to the development and execution of market strategies for Paid Search campaigns, including developing strategic roadmaps, test plans, and risk/benefit analysis; as well as analyzing results and developing actionable insights
Analysis, Thought Leadership & Communication:
- Employ analytical reasoning, data analysis, and problem solving skills to effectively and efficiently manage campaigns. Professionally communicate findings to the client, regardless of the medium (in person, PowerPoint, email, etc)
- Demonstrate thought leadership and professional communication skills by developing and delivering client facing materials, such as presentations, Point of Views, business cases, and performance reports
- Utilize business acumen to work closely with client teams to identify and fully understand business needs, campaign performance objectives, and opportunities to grow the relationship
- We recognize many of the above mentioned areas may be an area of growth opportunity for you, therefore you will receive guidance from your Director, but you will be expected to demonstrate rapid growth in these core functions to be successful in your role
Teamwork & Project Management:
- Provide proactive mentorship of Search Specialists supporting accounts; effectively communicating task execution and timeline requirements, strategic guidance, and constructive feedback to aid in their growth in their core functional areas or responsibilities
- Active monitoring and sharing of industry news, on-line marketing trends, industry tools, and internal cross-team key learnings…often on the fly at the client’s request
- Work comfortably in dynamic, time intensive environments where consistent fire drills and competing priorities are commonplace; Must manage expectations and priorities
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Business Experience:
- 3-4+ years of Search Engine Marketing (SEM) experience, preferably on the agency side
- Capable of successfully leading mid-tier accounts with limited oversight
- You’re next to flawless when it comes to day-to-day campaign execution
- Ideally, you have some experience beyond just the two major search engines – we often work with GDN, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, etc.
- Comprehensive data analysis and problem solving skills; able to draw conclusions and with guidance, you are able to devise strategic recommendations based on findings
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills: pivot tables, Vlookups, and chart building. Working knowledge of Visual Basic macros is a plus.
- Additional SEM software skills a plus (e.g. Tableau, Hitwise, etc.)
- You know when to self-solve vs. when to seek guidance, and aren’t afraid to ask for direction from the experts that surround you
- You’re well organized, able to balance client timelines and business needs, possibly across multiple clients
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.