Director Software Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are seeking an experienced, highly motivated, and technically proficient software
engineering team leader to help architect and build large-scale data processing and
analytics services. We develop cutting edge data insight and marketing solutions in the big-data problem space. We’re looking for smart, enthusiastic, driven individuals who are eager to produce world class solutions for our clients.
Key Role Responsibilities
· Lead a team of software engineers in designing, implementing, testing, & deploying analytic and data management systems.
· Contribute to (develop, commit, review, QA and test) various platform code bases (.net, Python, etc.) as needed.
· Collaborate with other technical groups to identify integration interfaces and standards.
· Partner with product managers to understand use cases and steer product roadmap.
· Collaborate with software architects & team leads to design and implement full stack technical solutions.
· Develop high profile, high performance solutions using cutting edge technologies in
· the cloud.
· Identify, test, & implement the latest and most appropriate technologies for the task at hand.
· Guide team through key engineering decision points that impact code and implementation approaches.
· Implement industry standard best practices such as automated testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, automated deployments, and infrastructure as code.
· Apply a standard development process include automated testing, code review, QA, user acceptance, branching strategies, and deployment
· Manage coordination with operations teams
· Enforce the Agile process (estimation of stories, sprint commitments, iterative development process, frequent deployments, etc.)
· Oversee the design of data models and database schemas
· 10+ years of application and infrastructure integration experience.
· Extensive experience with the Agile product/project development lifecycle and supporting tools.
· Excellent communications skills and comfortable presenting to internal groups.
· Extensive experience in effort estimation with a track record of accuracy.
· Experience in leading technical direction of software development teams.
· Experience working with a geographically distributed team.
· Competency in designing for enterprise system performance, scalability and capacity.
· Experience with various implementations of branching strategies, code review processes, and deployment processes.
· Experience with Snowflake, BigQuery or Redshift for building data lake and data warehouse environments
· Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, EMR and good knowledge of other AWS components.
· Expertise in a common scripting language (BASH, Ruby, Perl, Python).
· Experience in relational database implementation, data modeling, and query optimization
· Experience with distributed computing on big data.
· Experience with high availability architectures and disaster recovery procedures
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.