Senior Paid Search (SEM) Manager
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager is accountable for successfully managing Paid Search campaigns for one of Merkle’s clients in the Financial industry. This role requires a background in Accounting or Finance (background can be a relevant degree) and experience managing complex and sophisticated Paid Search campaigns. The primary responsibilities in this role are to be the go-to Search expert, successfully leading the day-to-day the Paid Search campaigns; act as the central hub of collaboration and problem solving across various departments/resources including senior level colleagues at Merkle and senior level business leaders at the client, while delivering against aggressive client objectives.
Key ResponsibilitiesSearch Campaign Management
- Oversees and guides paid search program for enterprise-level, managing multiple product lines
- Main point of contact for client, third-party vendors, and internal departments for matters involving paid search in that unit. Daily communication with client and internal departments managing other digital services for client.
- Oversees work of 1-2 search analysts, under guidance of account leadership.
- Contributes to the development and execution of market strategies for Paid Search campaigns, including developing strategic roadmaps, test plans, and risk/benefit analysis; as well as analyzing results and developing actionable insights.
- Responsible for translating objectives from client and account leadership and translating into strategy and tactics for paid search campaign.
- Performs day-to-day campaign activities for paid search campaign, including: bid management, budget allocation, forecasting, performance monitoring, strategic testing, campaign expansion, etc.
- Analysis, Thought Leadership & Communication
- Employs analytical reasoning, data analysis, and problem solving skills to effectively and efficiently manage campaigns.
- Demonstrates thought leadership and professional communication skills by developing and delivering client facing materials, such as presentations, Point of Views, business cases, and performance reports. Proven success managing client relationships directly.
- Utilizes business acumen to work closely with client teams to identify and fully understand business needs, campaign performance objectives, and opportunities to grow the relationship.
Teamwork & Project Management
- Provides proactive management and coaching of Search Analysts supporting account; effectively communicating task execution and timeline requirements, strategic guidance, and constructive feedback to aid in their growth in their core functional areas or responsibilities. Responsible for performance evaluations and feedback.
- Actively monitors and shares industry news, online marketing trends, industry tools, and internal cross-team key learnings…often on the fly at the client’s request.
- Works comfortably in dynamic, time intensive environments where consistent fire drills and competing priorities are commonplace.
- Uses interpersonal skills to influence customers, suppliers and other comparable level managers.
This job description is a summary of the essential functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description. Other duties, as assigned by the supervisor, might be part of the job.
- 4-6+ years' of Search Engine Marketing (SEM) experience, preferably on the Agency side
- Strong professional presence and communication skills
- Support /oversee project/accounts
- Comprehensive data analysis and problem solving skills; able to draw conclusions and with guidance, you are able to devise strategic recommendations based on findings
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills: pivot tables, vlookups, and chart building. Working knowledge of Visual Basic macros is a plus.
- Additional SEM software skills a plus (e.g. Tableau, Hitwise, etc.)
- Uses acquired expertise and knowledge to solve business challenges and provide focus to subordinates
- B.A./B.S. required; Marketing, Business, Accounting, Finance preferred
- Ability to work independently and effectively multitask across multiple priorities
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.