Graduate Business Intelligence Developer
Merkle is a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based marketing', and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader. Merkle, headquartered in the States, have focused on expansion by acquiring businesses internationally and by joining the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the largest Global media companies, in 2016. This has offered us opportunity to further expand our growth and services.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in the UK and across EMEA. There are exciting new ventures across Merkle so now is an exciting time to be joining the company! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
We are looking for an entry-level Business Intelligence Developer to deliver Management Information (MI) and Business Intelligence (BI) using Gartner Leading BI solutions. The role requires a mix of both strong technical and interpersonal skills. Primary tools include Tableau, QlikView, Qlik Sense and Power BI.
This is a rewarding opportunity to work with an innovative organisation in a growing team. Exposure will go beyond technology and focus on outcomes driven solution implementation, in an array of verticals. Whist the position is in the BI Practice, it will offer regular exposure to all areas of the business by sheer virtue of the role. The BI Developer will serve both internal and external customers and therefore be client facing.
For more info on the role from one of our current employees, please see the attached blog post below:
What you will experience as a Graduate Business Intelligence Developer:
· Ongoing exposure to new and exciting technology platforms in an ever-changing data landscape
· Boost your professional profile with progressive technology certification gained from hands on learning and application experience
· Working with a wide range of datasets from web performance, Internet-of-Things generated data, oil rig performance data
· A chance to work with leading household brands as BMW, Sony, East Midlands Trains, Tesco Mobile, Volkswagen Group and many more
· Exposure to thought leaders in the space of Analytics and Data Science when working on combined initiative projects
· And you'll achieve certification in key BI technologies
Day to day, your responsibilities will include:
· Gathering BI requirements, liaising with internal departments, and present the input back in a simplified format for client buy in and sign off
· Challenging and verifying data quality that may hinder delivery of BI projects, working closely with the Database Development and Quality Assurance teams
· Project management of the BI element of wider projects using collaboration tools such as Basecamp, Confluence, whilst keeping the client informed and engaged throughout the iterative development cycle is imperative to the success of the project
· Maintaining transparency during this project management phase with ability to spot and highlighting any impediments and appropriately sharing with the internal delivery team and clients
· Researching and knowledge sharing in the BI Practice continually looking for new ways of approaching BI challenges and sharing findings with the team
· Documenting new and existing dashboard implementations to support hand over to other team members, the client and the Service Delivery team
· Supporting the sales process by demonstrating how technology and process tackle MI and BI challenges
· A growing number of clients require face to face onsite presence. Some opportunities will involve travel and working at the client site for periods ranging from a few days a week to full time onsite presence. Merkle has a global foot print thus some opportunities will take you around the continent and further afield.
· Planning & organisational skills to be able to complete duties on time whilst maintaining a high-quality service
· Ability to work with minimal supervision, using own initiative whilst also being a self-motivated, proactive team player
· Ability to translate technical subject matter to a non-technical audience
· Ability to engage and present to external and internal clients at a senior level to gain an understanding of their business objective and requirements
· Preferably a 2:1 or above in an Information Systems, Computer Science degree with a strong understanding and grasp of data will be advantageous. Previous experience with R / Python would be a plus.
· Exposure to technical development with any modern BI technologies would be advantageous
· Ability to self-teach new BI technologies and be resourceful in finding appropriate documentation and community support
· Excellent influencing, networking & negotiation skills
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too!
As we grow and develop as a company, you will too. We're passionate, hard-working and driven people who take a lot of pride in our achievements. We enjoy working together and make an effort to have lunch together, celebrate birthdays and attend regular social activities.
· Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Company pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
· Free breakfast, fruit, sweets and, most importantly, biscuits!
· Food Fridays – enjoy a lunch courtesy of us once a month
· Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
· Games room with pool, Xbox, poker
· A selection of other industry standard benefits
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience. At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.