Senior Manager of Analytics
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Senior Manager, CRM Analytics will lead data scientists and other analysts on analytic project work for Merkle clients. This person will guide the design and building of predictive models and algorithms, exploratory data analysis, test design, statistical tests and measures, and marketing measurement. They must have a deep knowledge of analytical and statistical techniques and be able to implement them within a marketing context, i.e., marketing technology, operations, and strategy. This person must be able to take vague or poorly defined business requirements, communicate and clarify needs with the client, and then design and build analytical models on their own; some projects may require hands-on analytical work, whereas others may require leading and helping other analysts. The ability to communicate analytical project plans, strategy, methodologies, and results in a simple and clear fashion to clients is essential. This person will be expected to take the lead in communication and presentation of complex analytical concepts to the client, including stakeholders up to the C-Suite Levels. Experience using analytics and data science within the financial services industry is preferred.
- Consult on client business problems, drive analytic objectives, create practical analytic roadmaps, develop concrete analytic framework, identify data needs and formulate data solutions, manage analysis projects, package and present insights to stake holders at all levels, and finally, implement recommended solutions with a goal to achieve clients’ business objectives
- Deliver practical and actionable recommendations based upon marketing intelligence generated through conducting customer transaction/behavior study, portfolio diagnostics, competitive analysis and industry economics research
- Consolidate and package up insights, analytic outputs, and action items into a well-organized, consumable package with actionable recommendations and strategies for marketers (MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
- Oversee the development of various analytical or predictive models, becoming hands-on with the team when necessary. Must be able to explain the modeling process and results to clients in a non-technical way as well as direct model development with the team.
- Anticipate project risk and constraints and proactively work on solutions to address the risk/constraints while leading large, complex analytical projects end to end
- Work across Merkle teams to help design cross functional and industry-best-practice marketing solutions.
- Collaborates with the strategy, reporting, and account management groups to enable integrated delivery of outcome presentations, recommendations, best-practice measurement and updated schedules.
- Stay informed of advancements in industry trends and developing technology; proactively apply entrepreneurial spirit in identifying opportunities to introduce, enhance and improve Merkle's analytical tools, data mining techniques and processes, ensuring Merkle is always at the forefront of the industry.
- Demonstrate thought leadership; develop best practices, case studies, training class materials, whitepapers/blog posts, and/or present at industry conferences
- Manage and mentor managers, contributing to their technical and career development
- Recruit, hire, develop and retain "A" players
- SQL expert, with advanced database knowledge and experience (5+ years of experience)
- Statistical software: Advanced SAS and SQL required. Advanced R or Python preferred. Any others are bonus
- Must have experience with statistical concepts and applying statistical techniques such as regression, naïve Bayes, decision trees, clustering, factor analysis, time series, ANOVA, t-test, experimental design, etc. to solve business problems
- Understanding of digital data including the systems and processes used to generate and manipulate it by media type web, ad, email, mobile, etc.
- Strong in MS Office core suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required
- Travel up to 10%
- Strong communicator who can simplify and explain complex information for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, Impala, and Spark tools
- Strong hands-on experience with Tableau
- Bachelor's Degree (B.S.) or equivalent in statistics, math, economics or related scientific/quantitative field required; Advanced degree (M.A., M.S., and Ph.D.) preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in quantitative marketing arena, in database and/or digital (addressable) marketing
- Minimum of 3+ years of analytics experience in Retail, CPG or FiServ Industries is preferred
- Financial services desirable but not necessary
- Experience in a marketing setting is required – familiarity with customer data and 1:1 marketing data
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.