Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a Global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
With our Head Office in Columbia, Maryland and offices US wide, we continue to grow at a rapid rate across Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in the UK; we have made several acquisitions, secured incredible new premises and have attracted renowned experts to diversify our offering.
Life as a Database Engineer at Merkle
Your day to day role will be working alongside other highly skilled database engineers in supporting, and developing, new and existing large-scale enterprise solutions. You will be responsible for developing new functionality according to a commercial brief, update existing functionality depending on requirements, performing peer-reviews to ensure code adheres to best practice, fit for purpose and scalable, and document technical processes in a clear and highly detailed fashion.
You will support junior team members effectively troubleshooting technical issues such as database performance issues, failed ETL loads and bug fixes. Being one of the go-to database specialists, you will support the Account Management team in responding to client queries, setting expectation and ensuring process is adhered to.
This role will give you the following opportunities:
- Ability to work on (and get your teeth into as this is a hands-on role) a truly diverse blue chip Client portfolio across a number of industry sectors.
- Longer term opportunity to work across a number of complex solutions, using latest technologies such as Connected Customer Engagement, Big Data, Omni-Channel Marketing, 360 Single Customer Views, DMPs.
- Ability to attend industry conferences and technical events, internal innovation and best practice forums to keep abreast of market changes and emerging technologies.
- Innovation and training time to develop your skills and encourage continued professional development.
- Career progression: we have re-launched our appraisal system to encourage continuous development
- Opportunity to rub minds with the best minds in the business – we pride ourselves on being approachable and collaborative
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too. Some of the benefits to look forward to:
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Company pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
- Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
- Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
- A selection of other industry standard benefits
What we are looking for in you
- At least 2 years’ data warehouse design ideally using Kimball methodology (or other methodology i.e. Inmon, 3NF)
- Marketing Agency/Service Industry exposure/experience
- At least 3 years SQL server 2008 plus SSIS, SQL Data Tools and/or Informatica experience
- At least 3 years SQL Server T-SQL development experience
- At least 3 years of customer/PII data processing experience
- Source Control using Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- An excellent communicator to both internal and external audiences in a Client-facing role
- Software and application development experience with the ability to understand the full solution
- Handling and protection of information, reporting security events and implementing appropriate policies and procedures
- Must have a genuine interest in technology and SQL Server demonstrating an understanding of new SQL Server functionality available within later versions of SQL Server 2014 (have reviewed SQL 2016)
- GDPR and in particular Privacy by Design and Rights of the Individual
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.