Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are seeking a highly motivated, and technically proficient software engineer to work on helping to develop innovative applications. You will expand upon your current skill set through cross-disciplinary collaboration with some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry, while learning the inner workings of a fast-paced digital marketing agency. You will work closely with a team of developers in an agile software development environment to expand our proprietary digital marketing tool-set. The Merkle Agency Services team uses these tools to manage almost $1B in ad spend across a variety of channels and platforms. You will work closely with major search engines – Amazon, Google and Bing – to keep our tools up to date in an ever-changing and highly competitive landscape.
Additionally, as a Developer, you’ll play an integral role in the growth of our team. You will you assist junior developers with their projects, guiding them toward better programming solutions. You will assist department leadership in setting and achieving department goals; reviewing complicated or mission-critical designs, code, and tests; and seeking and documenting ways to improve our current code base and system processes using the latest technologies.
· Participate in the advancement and implementation of open source frameworks and architectures
· Advance our applications to a next-generation suite using Java & Big Data technologies in AWS environment
· Participate in the full software development life cycle: gather requirements, design, develop, peer code review and test the applications
· Proactively support and develop junior team members by providing deign advice and coaching
· Utilize and help define software development best practices
· Communicate effectively with business analysts, data scientists, and other developers on a daily basis
· BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
· Strong engineering or development background, 3+ years’ work experience, passion to code
· A desire to be challenged, solve problems and stay on top of the latest technologies and frameworks
· Proficient with object oriented and functional programming principles
· Experience with Java or Scala and test-driven development
· Strong proficiency with SQL, complex queries and knowledge of RDBMS systems
· Knowledge of distributed data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Cassandra) is a plus
· Knowledge architecting and coding for AWS cloud-based applications is desired
· Comfortable working in Unix/Linux test-driven environments
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a rapidly changing business environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.