Associate Copy Editor / Proofreader
Merkle is a global data-driven, technology-enabled performance marketing agency. For nearly 30 years, Fortune 1,000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with us to build and maximize the value of their customer portfolios. We work with world-class brands like Dell, T-Mobile, Samsung, GEICO, Regions, Kimberly-Clark, AARP, Lilly, Sanofi, NBC Universal, DIRECTV, American Cancer Society, Habitat for Humanity and many others to build and execute customer-centric business strategies. With more than 7,000 smart, dedicated people in more than 50 offices around the world, we are still growing at a rate that outpaces the market, with 2017 net revenue of $630 million.
The Associate Copy Editor will proofread direct mail, digital collateral and vendor proofs to ensure that there are no spelling, grammatical or typographical errors while collaborating with a team of Editors and other departments daily. Develop an understanding of overall brand standards and institutional knowledge to maintain cohesiveness and consistency when proofreading or copy editing a client’s marketing components across various platforms.
· Scrutinize written text (direct mail and digital) in minute detail in order to identify and mark-up any errors or queries regarding grammar, spelling and punctuation, as well as client style/terminology nuances; includes full comparison reads or cold ('as is') reads and contextual/common-sense review
· Proven ability to work proactively in a collaborative team-oriented environment, staying aligned on daily proofreading deliverables for multiple clients
· Query decisively and effectively when there may be ambiguity in the text, using a structured proofreading process to ensure error-free copy while providing a final quality check to make sure all assets are fully vetted
· Adhere to process and quality procedures, ensuring utmost accuracy for all components
· Create, develop, maintain, and follow internal client style guides and perform other Editorial duties as assigned
· Minimum 2-4 years of proofreading experience in a high-volume, deadline-oriented setting
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English or Journalism
· Onscreen editing/annotating in Adobe Acrobat Pro
· MS Of=365 (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook/SharePoint/OneDrive/Teams)
· Skilled in learning, mastering, and troubleshooting the digital environment in an efficient and timely manner
· Excellent command of the English language: grammar, spelling and punctuation
· Strong working knowledge of the AP Stylebook preferred; proficiency with The Chicago Manual of Style or The Elements of Style a plus
· Good organizational, time management, and teamwork skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Maintain a positive and professional demeanor
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This job description is a summary of the essential functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description. Other duties, as assigned by the supervisor, might be part of the job.