Digital Strategy Director
In 2015, Periscopix were thrilled to join the Merkle organisation as part of their drive to become a worldwide leader in tailored data-driven digital marketing. Merkle is a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader. Merkle, headquartered in the States, have focused on expansion by acquiring businesses internationally and by joining the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the largest Global media companies, in 2016. This has offered us opportunity to further expand our growth and services.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in the UK. Having grown at a tremendous pace, our workforce is now split between two open-planned, modern London offices (London Bridge and St. Katharine Docks). It’s an exciting time to be joining the company; we have no plans to slow down! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
Managing the planning & digital strategy cycle on a portfolio of top tier clients that operate across multiple services (Search, Programmatic, Paid Social and Web Analytics etc.). The Digital Strategy Lead is responsible for ensuring alignment and strategic development of integrated marketing initiatives to meet client marketing and business objectives. It is key for the Digital Strategy Lead to have the ability to interrogate and interpret client briefs, understand key consumer and market insights to consult and devise holistic digital plans, leveraging appropriate marketing channels. The Digital Strategy Lead has ownership and autonomy over the planning cycle and is responsible for driving direction of overarching communication strategy in line with business objectives. In addition, the Digital Strategy Lead will support junior members of the team in the form of line and work load management. The Digital Strategy Lead is expected to support the learning and development of any direct reports.
It is key for the Digital Strategy Director to support the Head of Department in shaping the growth of the department, actively engaged in on-boarding new recruits and establishing methodology and best practice along with educating the wider company in department initiatives.
- Leads the development and management of effective integrated media plans.
- Maintains a good working relationship with the key stakeholders throughout the planning cycle, in particular creative resource to align communication strategies.
- Assumes leadership of communication and presentation of media planning to c-suite client teams and stakeholders.
- Manages and supports the workload of any junior Digital Strategists/Media Planners on shared accounts.
- Builds and maintains strong client relationships by positioning Merkle as strategic partner.
- Liaises regularly with Merkle Client Director and Media Delivery Lead to ensure strategic direction translates to execution.
- Both inspires and challenges the client with innovative and digital-first marketing solutions.
- Ensures effective communication across internal teams, with the client, media owners and agency partners throughout planning cycle.
- Maintains a detailed awareness of relevant media research and new opportunities within different media channels.
- Recognises industry opportunity to maintain Merkle’s position at the forefront of digital innovation.
- Provides thought leadership around integrated channel strategies, positioning Merkle as an expert both internally and externally.
The role will require contribution to the growth of the department through development of best practice, training materials, and cross-department initiatives:
- Encourages innovation, process, and development of our media planning & digital strategy capabilities
- Support the development of junior members of the team
- Encourage collaborative team environment and a culture for shared learning
- Advocate strategic delivery and best practice implementation
- Management of Media Planners, responsible for development and learning progression of any direct reports.
- Co-ordinates planning process and collates resource to present holistic & integrated plans.
- Adopts department best practice and implements end-to end process with regards to brief responses and new client on-boarding.
- Liaises with internal research teams to collate market and customer insight to support and justify media laydown.
- Liaises with internal research team to analyse data trends and client performance to develop solid strategic media plans.
- Works with media team to periodically review media laydown using campaign performance data.
- Executes QA, delivery timelines and implementation checklist to assist smooth transition to delivery.
- Works with the relevant teams to define custom measurement frameworks and PCA templates.
- Initiates stakeholder planning ensuring relevant participation and contribution.
- Works directly with Merkle new business team to assist in RFP and media plan recommendations as part of sales/on-boarding process.
- Develops case study material for external and internal circulation, showcasing effective integrated marketing strategies.
- Proven experience applying strategic thinking to complex integrated campaigns, with a demonstrable track record in achieving and exceeding KPIs
- Professional communication and presentation skills whether interacting with day to day contacts or C level executives
- Leadership abilities to be able to supervise the planning process across multi-disciplinary laydown liaising with Analysts, Media Leads and Client Service Directors as needed
- A comprehensive understanding of different marketing capabilities and what they offer the client and customer, including; Search Marketing, Analytics, Display, Social etc.
- Good understanding of ATL and OOH marketing initiatives.
- Track record in achieving client business KPS’s directly resulting from marketing activation.
- Strong understanding of multi-channel marketing, ensure digital is fully embedded in all initiatives.
- Possession of excellent written, oral and presentation skills, particularly the ability to articulate a compelling digital activation and customer story.
- Strong understanding of project management, demonstrable experience in leading preferable.
- Bachelor’s/advanced degree from an accredited college or university
- It is anticipated the successful candidate will have circa 4+ years’ experience within digital media agency function and/or digital media vendor/ad technology platform
- Experience of growing client relationships at top tier levels
- Practical experience managing and directing strategy on search, social and programmatic campaigns
- Project management, demonstrable leading experience
A few of the benefits
As we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast-growing company, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skill set and you’ll be encouraged to be curious and share new ideas. In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you take advantage of a generous holiday allowance and are paid a competitive salary. We’re really proud of our company values and culture; we have regular company / team socials and want all our employees to enjoy coming into work. Some of our benefits include:
- Friendly, approachable office atmosphere - and business-casual dress code
- Free breakfast (toast, spreads, fresh fruit, coffee, tea)
- Regular company socials (including bowling, Crystal Maze, quiz nights, annual Christmas and Summer parties to name a few!)
- On-site Games Room with ping pong and pool table
- The company pays for our lunch on the last Friday of every month
- On Friday’s at 4:30pm (Four Thirsty) everyone can help themselves to a celebratory drink
- Cycle2Work scheme, free eye tests, a company mobile phone and season ticket loans (post 3-month probation)
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.