Big Data Engineer (Spain or UK)
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
(This role can be based in Barcelona, Gijon or UK)
As a Big Data Engineer, you will contribute towards the overall data integration architecture and design of multi-terabyte marketing solutions that integrate and optimize our client's data across numerous sources. Merkle's solutions enable our clients to better communicate to their customer and prospects across a number of marketing channels and media. As a Big Data Engineer, you will also be immersed in the development and maintenance of our Customer Engagement Platform to meet client business objectives. You will have an opportunity to work with a cross-disciplinary team across various divisions of the MS group.
The Customer Engagement Platform is a Big Data Platform which enables our customers to get detailed analytics and insights from their diverse data sources. As a developer on this platform you will be responsible for developing new components and enhancements to the Identity Map and Event Stream components. You will also be responsible for managing and updating the configuration for these components. We use a combination of Hadoop and Spark and GraphX to develop these components.
You will also be responsibly for working with the Analytics Team to help them understand the data we hold and ensure we get the data into a format that is easy for them to use and digest in their analytics workflows.
Merkle is also introducing a new RAL platform into the European market which will allow us to quickly build an analytics platform in a Cloud infrastructure and you will be involved in some of the early implementations of this Platform for our new clients.
Life as a Big Data Engineer at Merkle
- Design and implement the technical vision for client projects
- Help with the overall project architecture and technical delivery of solutions
- Interact with project teams and clients on a regular basis
- Assist in requirements gathering and data analysis as needed
- Estimate work effort and assist the Project Manager with task planning and LOE (level of effort) estimates
- Help provide technical leadership and oversight of a project development team
- Help in the Peer Review process to review work produced by others for compliance with development standards
- Provide guidance and mentoring in database marketing development best practices
- Help write technical documentation
What we are looking for in you
- It is anticipated the candidate will have circa 3 years hands on experience with the Hadoop ecosystem including Spark, Oozie, Sqoop, HDFS, Linux, EMR
- Strong understanding of ETL concepts, processes, and tools (NiFi, Talend, Informatica, SSIS, or DataStage)
- Significant understanding of relational and dimensional database concepts including SQL and database programming
- Strong understanding of Scala or Python programming
- Strong understanding of file management concepts, processes, and tools - sFTP, PGP Encryption, Sterling
- Strong understanding of common IT offerings - e.g. Operating systems (windows/Linux), Word, Excel, Power Point
- Strong understanding of database platforms – Big Query and Redshift, SQL Server, MySQL, Hive
- Understanding of cloud technologies and/or big data platforms - AWS, GCP, Azure, Hadoop
- Strong knowledge of software engineering and development methodologies, techniques, and tools, including GIT, Issue Tracking (Jira), and Software Development Lifecycle (waterfall, agile)
- Ability to serve as technical point of contact for the solution both internally to Merkle and in interactions directly with the client
- Good project/task management skills (JIRA)
- Ability to present, both verbal and written, to team members, capability members, portfolio members, and clients at the appropriate technological level
- Attractive and competitive salary.
- Spanish/English lessons.
- Free life and health insurance.
- Career development through Merkle University and LinkedIn Learning.
- Day off in your birthday
- Reduced fee in Andjoy
- 2 volunteering days per annum
- Flexible salary remuneration scheme
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience. At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in Spain as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.