Director, Data Science
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 9,600+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 50+ additional offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network. For more information, contact Merkle at 1-877-9-Merkle or visit www.merkleinc.com.
The Director will lead a team of audience and advanced analytics professionals and work closely with a broader media analytics team and other agencies within the dentsu network. This person will primarily use their business and industry knowledge and an understanding of business processes, to identify client needs for quantitative analysis and translate these needs to their team(s). Subsequently, they will translate the results back to the client with insights, recommendations and next-step roadmap planning as the client’s trusted advisor. Deep experience in advanced analytics, audience data, and measurement is required. This NYC based role is to lead a Data Science team for one of the Dentsu Aegis Network’s (DANs) largest and most advanced clients.
- Consult on client business problems, drive analytic objectives, create practical analytic roadmaps, develop concrete analytic framework, identify data needs and formulate data solutions, manage analysis projects, package and present insights to stake holders at all levels, and finally, implement recommended solutions with a goal to achieve clients’ business objectives
- Deliver practical and actionable recommendations based upon marketing intelligence generated through primary research, journey analytics, consumer modeling, and competitive analysis
- Ability to consolidate and package up insights, analytic outputs, and action items into a well-organized, consumable package with actionable recommendations and strategies for marketers (MS Excel, PowerPoint, word, etc.)
- Oversee the development of various predictive models, becoming hands-on with the team as necessary. Must be able to explain the modeling process and results to clients in a non-technical way as well as direct model development with the team.
- Responsible for collaborating with broader media team on measurement frameworks, coordinating with the team for the development of effective reporting and dashboards with an objective to evaluate marketing performance and provide recommendations for enhancement
- Anticipate project risk and constraints and proactively work on solutions to address the risk/constraints while proactively leading large, complex analytical projects end to end
- Work across DAN and client teams to help design cross functional and industry-best-practice marketing solutions
- Stay informed of advancements in industry trends and developing technology; proactively apply entrepreneurial spirit in identifying opportunities to introduce, enhance and improve analytical tools, data mining techniques and processes, ensuring the team is always at the forefront of the industry.
- Support sales by providing analytical solution scope/methodology/level of efforts/pricing and giving sales presentations as part of SOW development / RFP response
- Demonstrate thought leadership; develop best practices, case studies, training class materials, whitepapers/blog posts, and/or present at industry conferences
- Manage and mentor managers, contributing to their technical and career development
- Recruit, hire, develop and retain "A" players
- Become a go-to-person for the client as a thought leader; develop best practices, case studies, training class materials, whitepapers/blog posts, and/or present at industry conferences.
- Bachelor's Degree (B.S.) or equivalent in statistics, math, economics or related scientific/quantitative field plus several years' experience in applied disciplines; Advanced degree (M.A., MBA, M.S., Ph.D.) preferred
- Minimum of 8+ years of experience in quantitative marketing arena, in database and/or digital (addressable) marketing
- Proficiency with multiple analytics tools required; R or Python strongly preferred; SAS, SQL, Python, and cloud environments
- Experience with BI or digital analytics tools such as Tableau, TIBCO Spotfire, Micro strategy, Adobe Audience Manager/ Analytics strongly preferred
- Must have experience with statistical concepts and applying statistical techniques such as regression, ANOVA, cluster analysis, factor analysis, time series forecasting, experimental design, etc. to solve business problems
- Understanding of digital data including the systems and processes used to generate and manipulate it by media type web, ad, email, mobile, etc.
- Experience with cloud platforms is desired
- Strong in MS Office core suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.