Lead Data Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our growing Data Analytics Engineering team focused on delivering high quality solutions to clients, both internal and external, with a focus on Azure and Advanced Analytics solutions.
The successful candidate ensure project deliverable keep a customer focus, drive a vision, and ensure the product meets the market needs. The candidate should understand modern data platform architecture and have expertise in client management and product management. You will be a competent and enthusiastic team player, managing the development of solutions that are scalable, utilizing appropriate technologies and engineering best practices.
Experience with Azure Platform is essential.
The postholder will:
· Collaborate in the delivery and support of first-rate solutions for our clients across multi-cloud surfaces and development methodologies.
· Work closely with client teams to uncover and understand customer needs and translate them into requirements
· Provide clear and precise briefing of requirements
· Provide technical support and mentoring
· Define success criteria for testing and product acceptance.
· Ensuring the quality of delivery is in line with QA and Governance guidelines.
· Work closely with local leadership as well as our global teams, integrating their key industry and specialist product knowledge, to shape and deliver client solutions.
· Provide technical expertise and consultancy to clients to help them understand the value of product changes
· Take ownership of complex technical issues and challenges. Lead by example and set the pace for the product delivery in terms of quality, consistency, and mindset driven behaviors.
· Act as an ambassador for your team, function and Data Engineering. You’ll be enthusiastic and proud of your work; you’ll have plenty of opportunity to showcase your talents.
Life as a Technical Product Manager
In this role you will have the opportunity to work with clients from a wide range of sectors, understand their specific requirements, while liaising with data architects, data scientists and analytical consultants in order to design, develop and deliver the optimal technical solution.
You will typically work with a few clients at different stages of maturity, bringing variety to your work and the opportunity to develop new skills, improve your knowledge and gain experience. You will enjoy quite a bit of freedom to manage your own time and that of your Data Engineer squad to orchestrate the delivery of the products each project depends on for success.
You may be involved in more than one client project at a time, so you’ll need to have excellent planning and time management skills to ensure that you consistently meet timescales and quality metrics.
As a senior in the Data Engineering team, you will be expected to routinely share knowledge and experiences with your team-mates through informal showcases, demonstrations and Q&A’s.
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
· Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
· A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.
What we are looking for in you
You will have a strong understanding of distributed computing, data and application architectures, basic networking, security, governance and infrastructure.
A knowledge of Big Data with a focus on Data Engineering tools and techniques. You will be comfortable with, and have informed opinions on ELT/ETL, Data Modelling and a wide variety of Data Engineering tools and frameworks.
You’ll already be comfortable and confident with Azure and have an understanding of how Cloud systems interact with and enhance marketing technologies.
Essential skills and experience: -
· Proficiency working in an Agile environment and on technically challenging projects
· Excellent communication skills, able to cut across complexity to concisely and clearly convey status and actions required.
· Knowledge / Experience / Certification in Azure Platform including experience using:
· ADF, Databricks, ADLS
· Understanding of principles of cloud governance.
· Working knowledge of Data Lake (& Engine) architectures & Warehouses.
· Understanding and comfortable around working with and consuming from API’s
· Comfortable interacting with clients and colleagues via email, Teams, and where appropriate, in person.
· CI/CD & Testing using popular DevOps tools and platforms inc. GitHub (Actions)/GitLab/Azure DevOps/Jenkins
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.