Head of Agency Sales
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
The Head of Agency Sales is a key member of the UK Leadership team and is responsible for driving significant new business growth via digital media focused service engagements. This growth will be achieved through successfully closing individual new business deals whilst also supporting and leading the Merkle Media sales team.
The sales team is an extremely high performing team comprising the most talented and experienced sales professionals in the Media & Customer Experience landscape. The team has a proud track record of winning business with many of the largest UK and International brands. If you have an enviable track record of sales success within the Digital Paid Media marketplace and want to lead this successful team and growth story, we want to hear from you.
The Media business within Merkle is a well-established and high growth area of our UK business, contributing over £20M of revenue to Merkle UK in 2020. The breadth of the Merkle Media capability spans Paid Search, Programmatic, Paid Social, Digital Consultancy and Customer Strategy and we have market-leading delivery teams and Pre-Sales experts supporting our Sales efforts. To continue the rapid growth and evolution of our Media revenue line, Merkle is seeking a highly successful sales leader with a track record of success in digital media & Agency sales.
This individual will be a highly motivated, well connected quick learner and a self-starter able to lead new logo sales efforts as well as cross sell within and between capabilities across both Merkle and the Dentsu Group. A dynamic personality with a drive to reach decision makers is essential.
You will have a strong track record of individual achievement plus be able to demonstrate the leadership qualities required to manage and get the best from a team of 8-10 sales professionals.
Merkle is a recognized market-leading Customer Experience agency. Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
With our Head Office in Columbia, Maryland and offices US wide, we continue to grow at a rapid rate across Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined Dentsu, one of the world’s biggest Global marketing networks.
Merkle was recognized by Forrester as a leading Customer Database and Engagement Agency in their 2021 report. The following quote is taken directly from this report:
“Merkle has gone through a lot of change in the past five years, and its surprisingly stable leadership team has steered it with finesse. Four years after being acquired by Dentsu, Merkle’s strategic vision and roadmap are laser-focused on connecting customer experiences across sales, service, marketing, and commerce. At the same time, it still delivers operational excellence to those marketers who depend on it primarily for marketing and campaign management. As one reference told us, 'You can see their strategy coming to fruition; they play to the strengths of their network while keeping the management structure of the account really tight. They offer consistency and they offer new expertise at the same time.'
"Marketers who want an agency partner that can help them flex into a future without cookies and help them deploy a data and mar-tech strategy that goes beyond marketing to permission-based 1:1 customer 'conversations' should put Merkle on their short list. But know that this agency will challenge you to rethink your status quo in ways you might not be ready for. We’ll be watching Merkle closely as they pivot once again to compete more with systems integrators and big 5 consultancies.”
Life as Head of Agency Sales at Merkle:
You will drive business growth for Merkle with new and existing accounts in several ways:
- You will manage the overall sales pipeline & forecasting for the Merkle Media business
- You will lead and manage a team of new-logo and organic growth sales professionals
- You will personally lead and close new logo business pitches that drive significant revenue growth
- Working closely with the Media capability leaders and Pre-Sales Consultants, you will help to define and position relevant client-specific Media propositions that build on Merkle’s well established set of Go-To-Market value propositions
- You will be responsible for the qualification, upsell and cross-sell within and across our core capabilities
- Meet sales quota goals for the Merkle Media business
- Lead, nurture and support the development of the Media sales team, ensuring they are able to meet individual sales goals and grow
- Analyse customer business goals, objectives, needs, process and existing infrastructure to help define optimum future solutions for that client
- Apply business outcome-based sales principles and demonstrate relevant and transferable company experience in developing sales strategy, opportunity briefs and sales plans to drive business growth (across both new logo and organic sales)
- Understand the prospect and client decision making process and stakeholder/organisational map
- Establish trusted relationships with Marketing Directors, Heads of Digital, CMOs and other client executives to originate new opportunities in new logo and existing accounts
- Develop and maintains an accurate, high quality pipeline that is aligned to our company’s sales process
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.
What we are looking for in you:
- Anticipated the appropriate candidate will have circa 5+ years digital media/agency sales experience
- Experience with closing large, complex sales deals
- Experience managing sales individuals/team
- Knowledge, understanding and track record of Digital Marketing
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Paid Search, Paid Social and Programmatic marketplaces
- Viewed as a thought leader in sales and well connected/networked
- Experience architecting complex solutions for large corporations (with technical support team)
- Strong ability and desire to prospect
- History of success working within an individual and team environment
- Must have a history of quota attainment
- Deep general business knowledge and acumen
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills
- Ability to lead through influence over authority
- Strong collaboration capabilities are critical to this role
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.