Associate Design Director
Merkle is a leading data-driven customer experience management (CXM) company that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading non-profit organisations have partnered with Merkle to maximise the value of their customer portfolios.
The company’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive hyper-personalised marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage.
We are looking for a proven, highly experienced and highly creative Digital Design Director to join our ever-growing Creative department. This individual must have an obsession for design, creativity, advertising and marketing and be able to passionately craft award-winning, industry leading work. Reporting to the Creative Director, you will be a senior and key member of the creative department, working alongside other creatives and writers, managing and mentoring junior designers. You will develop creative concepts from client briefs, alongside other team members and oversee the execution and production of the work against deliverables, focusing on quality, creativity and efficiency.
Life as a Associate Design Director at Merkle
- Lead the design function of our Creative services and direct the design output
- Develop creative and design concepts working alongside other creatives and writers
- Overseeing design projects from conception to completion – and you’ll sometimes be expected to roll-up your sleeves and get stuck into the design output yourself
- Craft and perfect design output at pace against tight deadlines, without any loss in quality or creativity
- Stay up-to-date on digital design standards and the best advertising work out there
- Manage and develop the work and careers of junior designers; critiquing and quality checking their work prior to creative director sign-off and client presentation
- Work closely with copywriters and the creative director to interpret client briefs and objectives, then turning ideas into incredible design
- Work with project managers and delivery managers on deadlines and assigning the best design resource to a project
- Pitch work to key clients, using your experience and expertise to inspire, excite and sell your work to them
- Work alongside creative director, senior creatives, strategists and account managers to successfully win new business and respond to RFPs
- Work alongside the Creative Director and other team leads to define the direction of our work, team and reputation
- Be the ‘go to’ individual in the agency for design knowledge
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
Diversity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.
What we are looking for in you
- At least 10 years experience in creative, digital, advertising and marketing design
- Expert in developing a design look and feel, working with creatives to develop a concept and setting the expectations and guidance for production
- Experienced at designing for all digital (including social, digital advertising, video and CRM / email)
- Expert knowledge of digital, typography, layout, artworking, colour and motion techniques
- Inspiring to clients, with great salesmanship in order to develop relationships and sell our work
- Obsession for graphic design with a creative eye and strong eye for detail and quality
- Forward thinking, always looking to push work harder
- Passionate about getting the job done
- Juggling multiple projects simultaneously against tight deadlines
- Highly creative, bringing new ideas and able to solve sometimes complexed client needs
- Experience managing junior designers, critiquing work and developing their skills and careers
- Experience using audience data / insight to inform design and testing plans is a bonus
- Experience with dynamic creative and audience personalisation is a bonus
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.