Senior Account Director - Media
We are Merkle B2B, one of the biggest and most successful B2B agencies in the world, and further part of the incredible Merkle and Dentsu parent groups. Since our establishment as a global end-to- end, best-in-class B2B agency, we are growing at a rapid and exciting pace. You will be joining a team of over 1,000 B2B specialists globally, acting as agency of record for some of the biggest and most exciting B2B brands in the world where we provide service across our many practice areas, including Media, Creative, Insights and more. But don’t just take our word for it – we’ve recently won The Drum’s Best Large B2B agency award.
At MB2B, we are determined to be the best - and we know that only comes from having the best people on our teams. So, as we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast- growing network, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skillset through market-leading training schemes, including our proprietary Merkle University courses. You’ll be encouraged to be curious, to share new ideas and to be innovative and bold – we believe great ideas should come from everyone in the team. To that end we’re also actively engaged in ensuring DEI is at the heart of what we think, say and do. We work as part of the many pillars within our global and local DEI group - and strongly encourage all of our teams to be actively involved here too.
In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you’ll find the right work-life balance - mental wellness is incredibly important to us so we ensure everyone takes advantage of their generous holiday allowance as well as several additional Wellness Days each year - additional days off which are enjoyed by everyone within the Dentsu group. We know right now that the ability to work remotely is as important as the ability to come together f2f as a team and agency, so we have enabled each team to build bespoke charters to identify the rhythm and cadence of when it will add value to be in the office collaborating round a table and when it’s useful to work from where suits you – all with the goal of driving success for our clients, our teams and our agency in the smartest ways possible. We’re really proud of our company values and culture, and we want you to feel fully part of that fantastic community, something we celebrate in our regular company and team socials.
The Senior Account Director role delivers outstanding leadership of our teams and best-in-class media work to our clients. These are both skillsets they will drive through their team as the day-to-day mentor of junior members, leading them in delivering end-to-end and best-in-class media campaigns.
Together with the team, they will drive innovative and ambitious solutions which deliver material business value to clients, across a portfolio of accounts and be responsible for the financial management of all campaign activity within the team. They will also support in driving business growth
– both organically through identifying and unlocking opportunities for current clients to expand their remit with MB2B and the wider Dentsu group, and through pitching for net new business (as part of wider teams).
The Key Responsibilities
· Lead a portfolio of clients with responsibility for the management of the revenue generated by those clients
· Own relationships with senior clients on a day-to-day basis and build strong relationships as a trusted advisor with senior clients and industry stakeholders
· Deepen the relationship to ensure retention and growth
· Manage team members to ensure they also build strong relationships with their counterparts to deliver outstanding client service
· Immerses self and team in clients’ business: understanding their challenges, objectives, external economic environment, markets they operate in, competitive threats and relevant partner agencies; knows their business model, how it is performing and what success looks like; knows client’s products inside out and applies this knowledge to deliver innovative, ambitious client plans and service
· Create the conditions for great work and champions great work
· Deliver innovative and ambitious, strategic and commercial solutions that balance client and agency values working closely with colleagues and clients
· Partner with Connections Strategist in development of media strategy & lead team in translating media strategy into innovative, actionable media plans designed to deliver business value
· Work seamlessly with the wider Dentsu group as needed to ensure best in class delivery
· Overall responsibility for ensuring team deliver timely and accurate media plans to frame, stimulate and track future work
· Understand client commercial framework and works agency leadership to ensure business is run profitably
· Improves client satisfaction to expand existing revenue streams and build new ones
· Manage systems for forecasting accurate spend and track progress
· Work to identifies business development opportunities across current and new clients
· Use knowledge of MB2B (and Dentsu) capabilities to influence and contribute to innovative, ambitious and value-driven solutions
· Involvement in agency pitch teams as part of ongoing business development
The Key Behaviours
· Recognised as a thought leader/go-to person
· Takes on challenging projects/problems and creates plans that get things moving
· Makes decisions when others hesitate or ask for more time/information
· Holds others accountable to meeting high standards, does not let deadlines slip
· Stays calm & helps the team navigate significant change/frustration
· Finds the right balance of constructive challenge and adaptation when faced with opposition (be that driven by clients, team or leadership)
· Steps back from current problems to see future implications to avoid risk & benefit from ops
· Asks the non-obvious questions to get at underlying issues
· Creates the right structure for the team to be effective – may remove people, change roles or align to better suit their capabilities
· Looks across MB2B & Dentsu to find the right people to deliver against client needs
· Sets clear direction for the team, focuses them not just on today but on longer-term plans
· Develops people to ensure they can deliver (technical training, client servicing, team leadership)
· Gives balanced feedback and recognition
· Delegates appropriately and do not try to do everything themselves
· Demonstrates how an account strategy will impact commercial results for the client, MB2B & Dentsu
· Sets realistic forecasts and spots opportunities for cross-selling
· Sees patterns in data, understand what it means and translate into action plans
· Knows who their broader stakeholder group is and ensures they are kept informed
· Creates helpful client proposals on a range of topics, not just their own brand/area / expertise
· Understands client’s marketing strategy and objectives, how all the op-cos can help deliver that, and is able to represent them to the client
The Key Skills & Experience
· Good all-round client service experience
· Experience in leading at least a medium-sized client/team
· Strong media planning experience & ideally good sector/B2B experience
· Experience in at least two functions including digital
· Commercial acumen
· Maintain strong relationships with the media owner and partner community
· Good overall knowledge of MB2B (and Dentsu) products and services
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- 3 Wellness day
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Merkle, a dentsu company, we believe that creating diverse and balanced teams is not just a moral imperative, it is a business imperative. To help our clients reach millions of different people every day, we need our people to reflect the society that we represent.
We aim to create an inclusive culture where all talent thrives, and we champion meaningful progress in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for our people, clients and partners.
DEI is firmly embedded into our shared values - the 8 Ways to Never Before - and our Leadership Framework, which applies to all of our people. And our Global DEI Principles reflect our pledge to be an organisation that promotes wellbeing and inclusivity for everyone - regardless of ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender (incl. gender identity and gender expression), age, neurodiversity or physical ability.
We are proud of what makes us different and encourage applicants from all different backgrounds to apply to join us. We are always happy to discuss all flexible and agile approached to working and should you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with our recruitment teams.