We are Merkle, a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader.
Our head office is in Columbia, Maryland and our expansion in Europe started in 2015 with the acquisition of three European companies: Persicopix, DBG and Comet. In 2016, we joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in Europe; we have made several new acquisitions, secured new premises in London and have attracted renowned experts to diversify our offering.
It’s an exciting time to be joining the company; we have no plans to slow down! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in the UK; we have made several acquisitions, secured incredible new premises and have attracted renowned experts to diversify our offering.
Life as a Database Engineer at Merkle
Your day to day role will be working alongside other highly skilled database engineers in supporting, and developing, new and existing large-scale enterprise solutions. You will be responsible for developing new functionality according to a commercial brief, update existing functionality depending on requirements, performing peer-reviews to ensure code adheres to best practice, fit for purpose and scalable, and document technical processes in a clear and highly detailed fashion.
You will support junior team members effectively troubleshooting technical issues such as database performance issues, failed ETL loads and bug fixes. Being one of the go-to database specialists, you will support the Account Management team in responding to client queries, setting expectation and ensuring process is adhered to.
This role will give you the following opportunities:
- Ability to work on (and get your teeth into as this is a hands-on role) a truly diverse blue chip Client portfolio across a number of industry sectors.
- Longer term opportunity to work across a number of complex solutions, using latest technologies such as Connected Customer Engagement, Big Data, Omni-Channel Marketing, 360 Single Customer Views, DMPs.
- Ability to attend industry conferences and technical events, internal innovation and best practice forums to keep abreast of market changes and emerging technologies.
- Innovation and training time to develop your skills and encourage continued professional development.
- Career progression: we have re-launched our appraisal system to encourage continuous development
Opportunity to rub minds with the best minds in the business – we pride ourselves on being approachable and collaborative
What we are looking for in you
- At least 2 years’ data warehouse design ideally using Kimball methodology (or other methodology i.e. Inmon, 3NF)
- Marketing Agency/Service Industry exposure/experience
- At least 3 years SQL server 2008 plus SSIS, SQL Data Tools and/or Informatica experience
- At least 3 years SQL Server T-SQL development experience
- At least 3 years of customer/PII data processing experience
- Source Control using Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- An excellent communicator to both internal and external audiences in a Client-facing role
- Software and application development experience with the ability to understand the full solution
- Handling and protection of information, reporting security events and implementing appropriate policies and procedures
- Must have a genuine interest in technology and SQL Server demonstrating an understanding of new SQL Server functionality available within later versions of SQL Server 2014 (have reviewed SQL 2016)
- GDPR and in particular Privacy by Design and Rights of the Individual
Salary and benefits
- Attractive and competitive salary
- Spanish/English lessons
- Free life and health insurance
- Career development through Merkle University (which includes access to Lynda.com and Skillsoft)
- Breakfast Box on your birthday
- Fruit, coffee, tea, cookies available in the office