Finance Director - UK
Merkle is a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader. Merkle, headquartered in the States, have focused on expansion by acquiring businesses internationally and by joining the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the largest Global media companies, in 2016. This has offered us opportunity to further expand our growth and services.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle EMEA. It’s an exciting time to be joining the company; we have no plans to slow down! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
We have an exciting and rare opening for a UK Finance Director to lead the Finance function in the UK market.
Reporting to the Merkle EMEA COO/CFO, this role will oversee the financial control, operations, commercial, reporting and analysis of a group of Merkle UK entities and providing financial advice and guidance to management teams in support of the achievement of market revenue and profit targets.
This is a pivotal role in the UK and requires an experienced Finance professional with both strong financial experience within the Media/ Digital Marketing sector and an exemplary track record of management and leadership.
Life as a UK Finance Director at Merkle
• Manages the UK (and nearshore) Finance team to deliver the financial reporting results for the Merkle UK group of entities in line with global policies and group deadlines
• Owns the country level Income Statement and Balance Sheet and associated KPIs relating to Finance team
• Advises Senior Market Management on key business decisions through sound commercial judgement highlighting options, trade-offs, risks and opportunities
• Leads the short and long-term budgetary planning and cost management for the UK market in alignment with Merkle and Dentsu Aegis Network (“DAN”) global processes
• Embeds client profitability and excellent commercial judgement in business decision making within the market
• Tracks performance against internal targets and external best practice, making timely interventions at appropriate times
• Visibly sponsors and drives continuous improvement/change programmes throughout their implementation to achieve project benefits (such as ERP implementation/adoption)
• Finance leader and sponsor of growth initiatives including UK acquisitions
• Builds finance capabilities, tools and skills within a market on a continuing basis to increase efficiency and the value add of the Finance team across the business
• Drives closer integration of Dentsu Aegis Network (DAN) business units within market
• Instils a sense of operational excellence and understanding of the competitive environment across the Finance teams within a market
• Supports the EMEA COO/CFO in terms of information and analysis needed to achieve market KPIs and metrics
• Ensures control and governance requirements are met within the market
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
• Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
• Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
• Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
• Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
• Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
• A selection of other industry standard benefits
• We anticipate the suitable candidate will bring circa 6-10+ year’s professional Finance experience gained from a medium or large size corporate environment (Strong familiarity with the Media, Digital and/or Marketing Services industry and finance set up within this)
• Within this, experience of leading and managing a Finance team
• Clear record of being curious, robust and shrewd, driving improved financial accounting discipline within a business
• Strong experience of both business partnering and business strategy
• Experience with acquisitions and post-merger integration
• Extensive experience of pricing and negotiation
• Clear record of driving end-to-end financial accounting and reporting process improvements
• Experience in both IFRS and local GAAP accounting standards
• Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills are critical to this role, with a proven track record of building effective relationships with stakeholders at different levels across the organisation
• Personal confidence and gravitas to operate alongside senior management daily
• Graduate degree and/or internationally recognised finance/accounting qualification (i.e. ACA/CPA, CMA or CFA) or MBA with Finance specialism
As we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Merkle’s central goal in Europe is to continue expanding – we’re attracting fantastic clients and growing our business offering at a tremendous pace. To achieve this, we’re looking to hire top talent to drive this growth and to ensure that we continue to be an industry-leading company. We value the knowledge and expertise that can be added to our workforce at senior levels – there’s also plenty of opportunity to continue developing your skillset.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience. At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.