Merkle | Aquila is a data analytics company focused on extracting the maximum value from data, translating it into decisions which empower our clients to take better actions.
We are a growing team based in Edinburgh, London, Derby and Bristol. As we expand into new markets, we are always on the look-out for talented and experienced practitioners to work on a number of exciting projects. We offer a relaxed but dynamic environment, with a culture of mutual respect and support. Our people love working here because of the interesting variety of our projects, the great people and the freedom to deliver.
In June 2017 we joined the Merkle organisation as part of its drive to become a worldwide leader in personalised data-driven digital marketing. Merkle, part of the Dentsu Aegis Network, is a major Global player in this market, and together we are working to build a unified operation to deliver best-in-class services worldwide. Together we are working to build a uniﬁed operation with market leading capabilities.
Project Data Engineers are Data Engineers that lead and deliver the technical aspects of our analytics projects and solutions into clients. We’re looking for a Project Data Engineer to work on projects to:
· Design great data solutions for our clients
· Build and configure our Data Science environment platform, its algorithms and its data feeds
· Support our Data Scientists and Analytical Consultants working on projects
· Provide technical expertise and consultancy to clients to help them understand the power of big data analytics for their organisation
Life as a Project Data Engineer at Merkle | Aquila
As a Project Data Engineer you will:
· Have a deep understanding of modern data platform architectures
· Design, document and present solution architectures and communicate them effectively to client teams, managing their delivery through client’s governance processes
· Design and build data feeds to support analytical processing
· Design smart ways of storing and displaying complex data
· Write well-structured, beautiful, clean code
· Support data scientists to deploy statistical models
· Feed your and your clients’ opinions, backed by data and investigation, for feature development
· Define your career path and be given the opportunity to grow and learn
· You’ll need to be ready to work with clients onsite
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle | Aquila social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too!
· Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Company Pension, life insurance, health insurance and other corporate benefits
· 28 days Annual Leave plus your birthday off
· Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
· Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
· A selection of other industry standard benefits
You need to be skilled at:
· Analytical solution design and development
· Distributed computing, data and application architectures, basic networking, security and infrastructure
· Writing great code to create production-strength data pipelines
· Continuous integration using Jenkins
· Cloud computing (AWS, Azure, GCP) and its security, automation and manageability
· Excellent knowledge of Unix scripting and one of R, Python, Java or Scala
· Relational and non-relational databases and when to use them
· Code management systems (ideally BitBucket or Github)
Technologies we’re using that you will be expected to use too:
One or (ideally) more of:
o AWS services including EC2, S3 and EMR, Spark and Zeppelin
o Microsoft Azure services including Azure Data Factories, Azure Data Lake, Service Bus and HDInsights services
o GCP including Google Compute Engine, Google Cloud Storage, Google Cloud Dataflow and Google Cloud Dataproc
o Technologies in the DevOps Space such as Continuous Integration, Automation, Infrastructure as Code, Cloudformation, and Teraform
· Ubuntu server, shell scripting, Jenkins
· Knowledge of Scala is very helpful, you’ll get practice if you’re not an expert.
In addition, interaction with clients is critical. We will ask you to:
· Develop a proactive approach to building strong relationships with the client & prospective clients
· Be responsible for helping client understand what is possible for them
· Proactively approach to shaping new solutions, understanding of resourcing considerations and requirements. Work with clients to define brief, objectives and timescales
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.