Merkle | Aquila is a data analytics company focused on extracting the maximum value from data, translating it into decisions which empower our clients to take better actions.
We are a growing team based in Edinburgh, London, Derby and Bristol. As we expand into new markets, we are always on the look-out for talented and experienced practitioners to work on a number of exciting projects. We offer a relaxed but dynamic environment, with a culture of mutual respect and support. Our people love working here because of the interesting variety of our projects, the great people and the freedom to deliver.
In June 2017 we joined the Merkle organisation as part of its drive to become a worldwide leader in personalised data-driven digital marketing. Merkle, part of the Dentsu Aegis Network, is a major Global player in this market, and together we are working to build a unified operation to deliver best-in-class services worldwide. Together we are working to build a uniﬁed operation with market leading capabilities.
Looking for candidates in Edinburgh or Derby
Data Engineers lead and deliver the technical aspects of our analytics projects and solutions into clients and work on projects to:
· Design great data solutions for our clients
· Build and configure our Data Science environment platform, its algorithms and its data feeds
· Support our Data Scientists and Analytical Consultants working on projects
· Provide technical expertise and consultancy to clients to help them understand the power of big data analytics for their organisation
Life as a Data Engineer at Merkle | Aquila
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our Data Engineering team at Merkle|Aquila to focus on delivering solutions to clients. Successful candidates will understand modern data platform architecture and have solved complex technical problems to deliver to clients’ requirements. You will be a competent team player, developing simple and straightforward solutions that are scalable, utilising appropriate technologies and engineering best practices.
In this role you will have the opportunity to work with clients from a wide range of sectors, understand their specific requirements, liaise with data scientists and analytical consultants, and design, develop and deliver technical solutions. You will do this as part of a dynamic, highly skilled, and flexible team working on exciting and challenging projects.
Here's some of the exciting work Merkle Aquila have been doing using AI:
Why you should join us:
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle | Aquila social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too!
· Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Company Pension, life insurance, health insurance and other corporate benefits
· 28 days Annual Leave plus your birthday off
· Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
· Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
· A selection of other industry standard benefits
What we are looking for in you
You will have a deep understanding of distributed computing, data and application architectures, basic networking, security, and infrastructure with a strength in writing great code to produce production-strength data pipelines and scalable systems.
In addition, successful candidates will have demonstrated
· Excellent knowledge of Unix scripting and one of R, Python, Java or Scala
· A strong understanding of data modelling, data structures, databases, and ETL processes
· Understanding of relational and non-relational databases and when to use them
· Continuous integration using Jenkins
· Analytical solution design and development, including algorithms and data feeds
· Proficiency working in an Agile environment
· Experience of code management systems (ideally BitBucket or Github)
Ideal candidates will have experience in Cloud computing (one or more of AWS, Azure, GCP), Scala, and technologies in the Dev Ops space (such as Continuous Integration, Automation, Infrastructures as Code, Cloudformation, and Teraform)
As this role will be client facing, you will also have demonstrated the ability to build strong relationships with clients, help the client understand what is possible for them, manage stakeholder expectations both inside and outside the organisation, and deliver to timelines. Occasional travel also required.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.