Junior DBA / Platform Engineer
We are Merkle, a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader.
Our head office is in Columbia, Maryland and our expansion in Europe started in 2015 with the acquisition of three European companies: Persicopix, DBG and Comet. In 2016, we joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in Europe; we have made several new acquisitions, secured new premises in London and have attracted renowned experts to diversify our offering.
It’s an exciting time to be joining the company; we have no plans to slow down! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
We now have an exciting opportunity to join our Platform Team working as a Junior DBA / Platform Engineer. The person we are looking for will be given exposure to some of the latest technologies available in database solutions. The individual will also be given time to train on these technologies and pass various certifications to develop their career. This is an ideal role for someone intrigued by the world of data and technology.
Our services combine expert knowledge and innovative technology to form a range of capabilities. Our clients span the Retail, Finance, Automotive, Manufacturing, Travel & Leisure and Telecommunications sectors. They include Renault, VW, East Midlands Trains and Mitchells and Butlers.
Life as a Junior DBA / Platform Engineer at Merkle
This team is working across various platforms with multiple clients to support and administer the delivery of our client’s solutions. This could be an exciting opportunity for a Junior DBA / Platform Engineer to join our team. The individual will be responsible for administering and maintaining SQL Server, Big Data and Cloud Environments from a data-centric point of view.
The role will involve developing the skills and capability to resolve application issues regarding data on Big Data platforms, Cloud platforms (AWS, Google, and Azure) and SQL Server platforms.
The role responsibilities include managing and implementing database changes to ensure that the changes fit with the database strategy to provide high levels of reliability, maintenance and support. We are looking for people to join our team who have the ability to prioritise and adapt to rapid change within our business. The successful candidate will have a flexible approach to working hours in line with business needs and be a resilient character with the ability to create and drive ideas.
Other responsibilities include providing support in administering other technologies currently supported by the Platform Team including AWS, Hadoop, Unica, Informatica and FastStats.
Essential Skills include:
- Recent graduate in an IT related discipline with a 1 year IT industrial placement completed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work to tight deadlines keeping within a structured framework adhering to stringent business processes
- Have a strong interest in learning how to use technology to solve problems and enjoy the idea of designing and implementing these solutions for our clients
- Analytical thinking, with the capability to apply logic to solve problems
- Determination to solve complex and challenging situations
- Initiative to pro-actively expand knowledge and improve skills
- A passion for technology and innovative ideas
Desirable Skills include:
- Exposure to Windows or Linux\Unix administration or configuration
- Exposure databases technologies (SQL Server, MySQL)
- Exposure to cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Exposure to Big Data technologies
- Exposure to programming (Python, BASH, SQL)
- Attractive and competitive salary.
- Spanish/English lessons.
- Free life and health insurance.
- Career development through Merkle University (which includes access to Lynda.com and Skillsoft).
- Breakfast Box on your birthday.
- Fruit, coffee, tea, cookies available in the office.