Senior Data Engineer, Products
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are seeking a highly motivated, and technically proficient Data Engineer to work on architecting, designing, building and managing data products on "big data" infrastructure.
You will expand upon your current skill set through cross-disciplinary collaboration with some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry, while learning the inner workings of a fast-paced global performance marketing agency. You will work closely with a team of engineers in an agile development environment to expand our proprietary marketing products.
Additionally, as a Data Engineer, you’ll play an integral role in the growth of our team. You will assist in reviewing complicated and mission-critical designs, code, and tests; and documenting ways to improve our current codebase and system processes using the latest technologies.
• Lead a technical team to rapidly architect, design, prototype, and implement and optimize architectures to tackle the Big Data and Data Science problems.
• Design, maintain and oversee the operational process to develop modular code base to solve “real” world problems.
• Conduct regular peer code reviews to ensure code quality and compliance following best practices in the industry.
• Work in cross-disciplinary teams to understand client needs and ingest rich data sources.
• Research, experiment, and utilize leading Big Data methodologies (Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Netezza, Snowflake, and AWS) with cloud/on premise/hybrid hosting solutions.
• Oversee a technical team to provide proficient documentation and operating guidance for users of all levels.
• Lead a technical team to architect, implement, and test data processing pipelines, and data mining/data science algorithms on a variety of hosted settings (AWS, Azure, client technology stacks, and on-prem clusters)
• Translate advanced business analytics problems into technical approaches that yield actionable recommendations across multiple, diverse domains; Communicate results and educate others through design and build of insightful visualizations, reports, and presentations.
• Develop skills in business requirement capture and translation, hypothesis-driven consulting, work stream and project management and client relationship development
• Help drive the process for pursuing innovations, target solutions, and extendable platforms for Merkle’s products.
• Participate in developing and presenting thought leadership, and assist in ensuring that Merkle’s “data source” technology stack incorporates and is optimized for using specific technologies.
• Promote the Merkle brand in the broader “data source” community.
· Qualified individuals possess the Merkle attributes of being smart, curious, committed to vision, passionate, fun/pleasant, an achiever and having a sense of urgency
· Minimum of ten years of big data experience with multiple programming languages and technologies, three years as a lead and three years at a management level with minimum five years of big data experience.
· Bachelor's degree or Master's degree from an accredited college/university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field(i.e. math and physics);
· Ability to manage complex engagements and interface with senior level management internally as well as with clients.
· Ability to communicate complex technical concepts succinctly to non-technical colleagues, understand & manage interdependencies between all facets of a project.
· Ability to lead client presentations; Must have demonstrated advanced proficiency in complex, mature and sophisticated Design & Analysis technologies and solutions.
· Ability to mentor others and publish whitepapers or articles on complex D&A technologies or solutions.
· Market-leading proficiency with multiple large scale and/or distributed processing methodologies (Hadoop, Storm, Spark).
· Skilled ability to rapidly ingest, transform, engineer, and visualize data, both for ad hoc and product-level (e.g., automated) data & analytics solutions.
· Market-leading fluency in several programming languages (Python, Scala, or Java), with the ability to pick up new languages and technologies quickly.
· Understanding of cloud and distributed systems principles (such as load balancing, networks, scaling, in-memory vs. disk).
· Experience with large-scale, big data methods (MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Impala, or Storm, SnowFlake) and AWS solutions (EC2, S3, RDS, EMR, Kinesis, DynamoDB, Redshift).
· Experience storing, managing, and processing massive data sets using tools such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, AWS EMR, Hive, SnowFlake or the like.
· Ability to work efficiently under Unix/Linux environment and .NET, having experience with source code management systems like GIT and SVN.
· Strong knowledge with programming methodologies (version control, testing, QA) and development methodologies (Waterfall and Agile).
· Experience with object-oriented design, coding, and testing patterns as well as experience in engineering (commercial or open source) software platforms and large-scale data infrastructures.
· Familiarity with different architecture patterns of development such as Event Driven, SOA, micro services, functional programming, Lambda.
· Capability to architect highly scalable distributed systems, using different open source tools.
· Knowledge of traditional and digital data-driven marketing.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.