Lead Analyst - Direct Marketing Analytics
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Advanced Analytics - Lead Analyst will use in-depth knowledge in quantitative database marketing and an understanding of complex systems to develop technical solutions for high-performance consumer marketing programs. Serves as a resource within area of expertise and provide guidance to junior team members; may lead small teams on a project basis.
* Leads development of complex, audience-driven marketing campaigns. Uses in-depth understanding of business rules and objectives to form targeting recommendations, budgets and projections. Primary point person for delivery of detailed plans to senior client executives.
* Translates marketing goals and objectives into action. Define available audiences for multiple products and craft strategies for prioritizing marketing investment to create the highest return against target KPI. Supporst development and implementation of many predictive models, segmentation schemes and other targeting tools.
* Integrates closely with technical operations team to build efficient and sound processes for campaign deployments and measurement. Works with multiple, highly complex data sources simultaneously. Anticipates points of failure and implements checks to ensure accurate and timely execution.
* Supports development of large-data architecture and workflow process. Determines project roadmaps for build and enhancements. Manages execution team to ensure quality delivery.
* Consults on client business problems, drives analytic objectives, develops concrete analytic/problem solving framework, identifies data needs and formulates data solutions, packages and presents insights to stake holders at all levels.
* Delivers practical and actionable recommendations derived from marketing intelligence including conducting customer transaction/behavior study, portfolio diagnostics, competitive analysis and industry economics research
* Collaborates with the strategy, reporting and account management groups to enable integrated delivery of outcome presentations, recommendations, best-practice measurement and project schedules.
* Perform advanced analytics tasks, including but not limited to:
- Predictive statistical models
- Customer profiling
- Segmentation Analysis
- Data Analysis and Mining
- External Data Enhancement
- Assists in determining quantitative methods for solving client issues
- Assist in presenting ideas and findings to future and existing clients
- Evaluation and improvement of internal tools and processes
- High proficiency with SQL and SAS required
- Experience Python or R is desirable but not required
- Very strong Excel skills required (VBA not necessary)
- Experience with Tableau or similar BI platforms is a bonus
- High attention to detail is critical
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including ability to interpret, understand and explain complex processes
- Ability to discover hidden insights or complex patterns through advanced multi-variate data mining techniques on un-structured business problems
- Ability to execute advanced analytic tasks (including but not limited to modeling, segmentation, DOE, forecasting, etc.) and create meaningful analytical outputs
- Ability to identify areas for statistical innovation or process improvement, do independent research, develop innovative approaches or processes/codes to 1) improve client business results, 2) improve efficiencies, 3) reduce potential errors
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, team environment with many concurrent deadlines
- 3-5 years of experience in quantitative marketing arena, in database and/or digital (addressable) marketing, including strong understanding of relational database concepts and direct marketing concepts.
- Hands-on direct marketing experience managing large and complex data for targeting is mandatory.
- Experience working with financial services firms (lending, banking, investing & insurance) a significant plus. Familiarity with credit bureau data is highly beneficial.
- Possess core analytical competencies such as ability to formulate an analytical problem; QC data and results; Summarize key findings/insights; Make actionable recommendations; and develop new and innovative analytical solutions to solve challenging business problems.
- Possess client/team engagement competencies such as gather specifications, develop analytical roadmap and approach and manage expectations, and coordinate delivery with internal team.
- Bachelor's Degree (B.S.) or equivalent in statistics, math, economics or related scientific/quantitative field plus several years' experience in applied disciplines; Advanced degree (MS or MBA in quantitative field) strongly preferred.
- This role is location flexible. (Columbia, MD; New York; Charlottesville, VA; Chicago; Denver; San Francisco) Core internal and client teams are distributed nationally, meaning a substantial amount of project work occurs virtually. Some light travel is expected.
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.