Media Director (B2B)
DWA is now part of Merkle, a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Media Director is responsible for building and fostering an office environment that yields strong media team performance and client growth. The MD sets the tone for the media accounts and the office as a whole, generating enthusiasm and commitment to client business performance.
The Media Director looks for and delivers new and innovative solutions to client business issues and challenges. A strategic partner, the MD directs clients to account expansion via best practices and answering the needs of their business via marketing.
A new business lead, the Media Director is responsible for contributing to overall business growth via account expansion and net new business projects.
- Lead and direct senior client relationships on strategically important accounts
- Support the Associate Media Director and Media Supervisors with client challenges, defining new client engagements and significant account changes (i.e. client moves, new products and services, budget changes)
- Understand the client landscape and concerns across all key accounts
- Be responsible for the media team account structure, ensuring that staffing supports current client requirements and future growth
- Monitor and promote the use of best practice account management throughout the media teams
- Dynamic presenter with client gravitas
Finance and Profitability
- Focus on scoping, staffing and profitability within the media teams
- Support the AMD and Media Supervisors to deliver accurate estimations of work, staffing plans and fee structures
- Responsible for approving and signing all client scopes of services
- Lead client remuneration conversations with support from Group Media Director, SVP and General Manager where appropriate
- Broad understanding of client contract process and legal implications held within
- Lead client revenue growth across clients under their remit
- Mentor the teams to deliver exemplary planning and delivery practices
- Serve as an advisor and mentor to media group and lead the team in flawless and accountable execution
- Oversee the development of media strategies consistent with brand marketing objectives and client business concerns
- Recommend account and media diversification where appropriate
- Deep understanding of KPI mapping and scoping performance success
- Oversee key client account performance
- Use results and legacy performance to drive new revenue opportunities within client accounts
- Liaise with analytics teams to manage working process between disciplines
- Recommend new data working practices and technologies to solve challenges and work with senior management to implement these changes through the business
- Plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate work activities of subordinates and handle all personnel requirements for immediate staff, including training and development
- Amend, retract and design processes to deliver best practice media work where appropriate
- Attract, retain, develop and motivate media staff to develop bench strength within the organization
- Own and foster growth in the relationships with agency partners
- Own and lead new business within DWA
- Assist senior management with operational changes and management, including staff, revenue and business growth
- Understand all DWA offerings and upsell/crossell those solutions to clients, including performance, analytics and consulting
- Attend annual conferences, participate in speaker panels, and contribute to industry blogs
- 9+ years’ experience, with at least 5 years focused online
- Exceptional leadership skills and management experience, demonstrated through staff development and implementation of exemplary processes
- Excellent understanding of the media business and it’s day-to-day operations
- Strong commercial acumen, excellence in managing profitability and responsibility for driving revenue generation within media teams
- Ownership of department/agency initiative recommendations and implementation. Ability to understand and promote multiple disciplines across the media and marketing business.
- Strong track record in B2B technology accounts and understanding of relevant client challenges
- Excellent track record of maintaining multiple client engagements at once and growing client business
- Build trusting, collaborative relationships with clients of senior levels
- Capable of serving as a DWA ambassador and demonstrating grace in challenging internal/external scenarios
- Excellent track record of driving client growth and diversification into multiple products and services
- History of leading and winning new business
- Ability to promote DWA externally via events and partnerships
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.