Senior Software Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are seeking a highly motivated and technically proficient software engineer to work on building tools and processes to support and manage the operations of large data products on "big data" infrastructure.
You will expand upon your current skill set through cross-disciplinary collaboration with some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry, while learning the inner workings of a fast-paced global performance marketing agency. You will work closely with a team of engineers in an agile development environment to expand our proprietary marketing products.
Additionally, as a Software Engineer, you’ll play an integral role in the growth of our team. You will assist in reviewing complicated and mission-critical automations, code, and tests; and documenting ways to improve our current codebase and system processes using the latest technologies. Part of this role will include a low level incident support function.
· Comprehend and advance the automation of big data processes through CI/CD pipelines and DevOps best practices
· Deconstruct and reverse engineer legacy code to make improvements where necessary
· Monitor system performance through dashboards and logs to identify issues before they become problems
· Support the core development team by advocating the full software development life cycle: requirements, design, develop, peer code review and testing the applications
· Provider Tier-3 support when deeper code analysis is required. Handle escalated issues, as they come up, through to resolution
· Communicate effectively with business analysts, data scientists, and other developers on a daily basis
· Support our 24/7/365 data products
· Qualified individuals possess the Merkle attributes of being smart, curious, committed to vision, passionate, fun/pleasant, an achiever and having a sense of urgency
· BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or commensurate work experience
· 5+ years of analysis, architecture and software development experience, with a majority in an Agile environment, utilizing agile and software development practices
· Understanding of database design, administrative, and querying skills of databases such as MS SQL Server
· Familiarity with DevOps and operational best practice tools such as Git, Jenkins, DataDog/NewRelic, OpsGenie, CloudWatch
· Expertise in Unix/Linux systems - comfortable working from the command line and aware of modern Unix/Linux technologies
· ETL and data tools such a SAS and SyncSort/DMXExpress helpful
· Awareness of Cloud/AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, Snowflake and more
· Experience with Data Integration or Data Management preferred
· Knowledge of traditional and digital data-driven marketing
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.