Director of Email Deliverability
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 4,400+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with additional offices in the US, Europe, and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Director of Email Deliverability is responsible for managing, coordinating, and delivering deliverability services across all Merkle email clients. Key responsibilities include running a small team of deliverability experts and working closely with Merkle leadership to align on strategic and tactical goals for the deliverability team and larger Digital Messaging Team. This person will also with ISPs and ESPs—namely, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Adobe Campaign, Oracle Responsys, and Oracle Eloqua—to provide remediation services and develop action plans around improving sender reputation and optimizing inbox placement strategies. This role will also include some hands-on consulting work for larger, more high-touch Merkle clients, as well as being the primary escalation point for team and client issues.
In addition, the ideal candidate is expected to:
- Be a career advocate for a small team of deliverability experts with varying levels of industry experience
- Work with Merkle leadership to clearly outline team goals and processes that best serve our clients and the organization
- Consult internally and externally on list hygiene recommendations, email deliverability best practices, IP warming strategy, and optimal email deployment details
- Be a steward of good deliverability practices by training our larger email and strategy teams on the latest industry trends, updates, and technologies
- Represent Merkle at email deliverability industry events
- Establish and maintain business relationships with larger Internet Service Providers (ISPs), email inbox providers, email filtering companies, and anti-spam solution vendors
- Access our email platforms’ SMTP bounce logs and report on the volume and severity of email campaign rejections
- Troubleshoot and remediate email deliverability issues
- Monitor email delivery reports and alerts from 250ok and/or Return Path for Fortune 500 clients
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, or work experience that demonstrates comparable abilities
- 7+ years of experience in the email deliverability space
- 3+ years of experience in a management role
- Knowledge of the major ISPs/providers, email marketing, anti-spam technologies, and both the sender and receiver sides of email
- Experience monitoring or reporting on campaign-level email marketing data
- An ability to tailor your message to the audience at hand, whether it’s delivered via email, presentation, report, or conference call
- Innovative thinker who can formulate conclusions while keeping both the email sender and receiver in mind
- Experience with Return Path or 250ok is a plus
- Working knowledge of SQL and relational database concepts is a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.