Founded as an independent media agency in 1996, DWA is headquartered in San Francisco, with eight additional offices in the US, Europe and Asia-Pacific employing 150+ employees globally.
In December 2017 we were acquired by Merkle, part of the Dentsu Aegis Network. The move expands the B2B offering at marketing agency Merkle, adding scale and breadth to existing capabilities, and offering brands in the technology and B2B sectors greater sophistication, integrated technology, data, creativity, and outstanding performance marketing. Our approach has delivered success for a diverse group of clients, including Cisco, Citrix, Box, NetApp, Salesforce and Oracle.
The acquisition allows us to have the best of both worlds; locally we retain our independent agency feel, with the backing of a global network - meaning the potential opportunity for career growth is yours for the taking. We foster a culture of ‘Work Hard, Play Hard’, and actively encourage our team members to have, and share opinions.
A management role, the Account Director (AD) is to lead and grow all the accounts within their portfolio, and set their strategic tone. They will have responsibility for the P&L for their client set, for the professional development of their staff as well as fostering strong relationships with key clients.
The AD will take a prominent role in the local industry and promote the agency’s credentials externally. In addition, they will assist on new business projects as and when required.
Life as an Account Director at DWA
- A leadership role across multiple client accounts. Demonstrate strong account direction and ability to identify/implement growth opportunities
- Build a strong relationship with client leads and their teams, fulfilling a partnership role to their business
- Ability to direct client conversations, manage requirements and negotiate scope of services
- Dynamic presence in presentations and other forms of client communication
- Ability to align team members & clients with media strategies and metrics in new areas
- Responsible for resolving client issues and handle challenging client conversations where required
- Managing up to the Client Director as and when appropriate
- Excellent client scorecard
- Responsible for the overall tone and success of the client account
- Up to date with industry developments and emerging trends in relevant areas
Finance & Profitability
- Deep understanding of account profitability, scoping and staffing
- Responsible for drafting all Scope of Work documents for account campaigns and projects, for signature of Client Director
- Responsible for underlying staffing plan, and managing profitability
- Responsible for account forecasting, and delivery of work to that forecast
- Responsible for maintaining consistent, agreed fee structures for their clients
- Oversee and manage campaigns, including oversight and development of strategic recommendations. Responsible for the quality and consistency of all strategy and team output
- Support and mentor the Account Executives (AE) and Account Managers (AM) to deliver all campaign planning and implementation
- Understand Brand, Demand and Lead Generation, and how they strategically interact across the buyer journey
- Have a broad understanding of all media channels, including traditional, biddable, social, search, programmatic
- Understand the role of strategy & consulting within DWA
- Assist with New Business as required. Ability to work autonomously on small to mid-level opportunities, working with AMs as appropriate
- Responsible for quality, accuracy and consistency of the reporting across their campaigns
- Link insights to recommendations, optimizations and expansion of client activity
- Be a part of internal DWA reporting & analytics conversations, making recommendations of new technologies/abilities which could be relevant for the DWA tech stack
- Understand tagging & tracking methodologies, best practices, and emerging trends
- Training and mentorship of (where applicable) AE and AM, managing their growth
- Responsible for managing their training schedule, including internal & external training opportunities
- Demonstrate real leadership qualities, with the ability to positively galvanize teams behind tasks and deliverables
- Lead senior vendor relationships, negotiate preferred rates and maintain a partnership role in testing/access to new products and capabilities
- An understanding of all associated vendor rates and margins where appropriate
- Maintain a fantastic inter-company reputation within DWA, and be responsible for building bridges between global/regional offices and capabilities
- Take the initiative for assisting the management team with wider projects as required, including but not limited to DWA product development, industry positioning, award entries and representing DWA at external events
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Company Pension, Private Medical and other corporate benefits
- Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
- Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
- Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
- A selection of other industry standard benefits
What we are looking for in you
- It is anticipated the successful candidate will have circa 3-5 years media planning/buying experience, with comprehensive digital planning knowledge
- Exceptional leadership skills & management experience, demonstrated through staff development and ownership of department/agency initiatives
- Excellent track record of maintaining multiple client engagements at once and presenting growth opportunities to management
- Build trusting, collaborative relationships with clients of mid to senior levels
- Stay on top of business and client concerns to head off issues
- Capable of serving as a DWA ambassador and demonstrating grace in challenging internal/external scenarios
- Understand and demonstrate commercial acumen with client scoping, staffing and profitability
- Understanding of revenue to staffing relationship and motivation to improve metrics
- Established relationships with site technology partners, external agencies & clients alike
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience. At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.