HR Operational & Contract Compliance
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are seeking an HR Operational & Contract Compliance Manager to join a high impact team of HR professionals in a fast paced environment. You will collaborate with employees throuthout the organization to tackle challenging issues and support projects of various complexity.
A key aspect of this role will be to ensure the company's internal policies are consistent with the regulations relevant to our business as well as our own high ethical standards. To that end, the incumbent will participate in routine audits, recommending new policies and changes to existing policies resulting in increased awareness and ongoing compliance. The incumbent will also facilitate the global background screening and drug testing processes to ensuring proper case management. This may involve participating in reviews of investigative reports to ensure accuracy and make risk mitigation determinations on the material presented.
An additional responsibility of this role will be participation in the contract review process. Merkle clients include both governmental, financial and healthcare related entities which often impose additional requirements upon Merkle employees assigned to these accounts. The HR Operational & Contract Compliance Manager will collaborate with the sales and legal team to review relevant portions of the contracts and ensure that the requiremnts requested by the clients are appropriate and do not infringe upon the rights our our own employees, and that any requirements which we agree to are satisfied throughout the term of the contract. This may entail occasional review of workers against US Government exclusion lists and additional background checks and drug screening.
This role will also provide support on special projects as needed and may lead small teams from time to time.
· Provide administrative support on a variety of HR compliance initiatives and requirements including but not limited to: EEO (discrimination, harassment, retaliation), ADAAA, drug testing, mandatory notices and postings, and other state and federal employment laws.
· Be alert to changes in laws and regulations, interpret their potential impact to the organization, and bring them to the attention of the stakeholders. Collaborate with other members of the HR and Legal team to draft policy, processes and procedures to proactively improve our compliance posture.
· Oversee and manage background screening process globally to ensure company meets internal compliance standards and local laws.
· Provide support to internal and external customers in areas of background investigations, including but not limited to, evaluating discrepancies in background checks, determining necessary background vendors and appropriate release forms, assist in the review of drug and background compliance requirements, and maintaining strict adherence to Merkle’s Policy and Procedures.
· Participate in the review of contracts with our clients to ensure provisions which directly affect our employees are appropriate and do not conflict with Merkle’s own internal policies.
· Provide policy and procedure implementation support and advise employees of changes to company policies.
· Partner with internal and external auditing teams to coordinate efforts relating to HR process and system audits as they relate to such things as Sarbanes Oxley, IT audits, Operational audits, Client audits, and managing remediation efforts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills,
- Ability to learn background investigation best practices
- General knowledge of US employment laws, policies, practices, and demonstrated ability to keep abreast of regulations, laws, compliance matters that impact business operations and HR company policies and practices.
- Ability to analyze and diagnose complex situations/issues
- Good interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to influence and partner across all levels of the company
- Solid organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Access, PowerPoint).
- Awareness of fundamental HR Operations and Recruiting processes for compliance and the ability to design processes and programs that align with how the business operates.
- Ability to work in a team environment while managing and executing tasks with multiple conflicting priorities
- Absolute integrity with respect to the protection of confidential or sensitive information
- BA/BS degree in Business Administration or related field or relevant certification
- Familiarity with generalist HR practices and programs.
This job description is a summary of the essential functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description. Other duties, as assigned by the supervisor, might be part of the job.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.