In 2015, Periscopix were thrilled to join the Merkle organisation as part of their drive to become a worldwide leader in tailored data-driven digital marketing. Merkle is a performance marketing agency which specialises in the delivery of personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and we are proud to be recognised as an industry leader. Merkle, headquartered in the States, have focused on expansion by acquiring businesses internationally and by joining the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the largest Global media companies, in 2016. This has offered us opportunity to further expand our growth and services.
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in the UK. Having grown at a tremendous pace, our workforce is now split between two open-planned, modern London offices (London Bridge and St. Katharine Docks). It’s an exciting time to be joining the company; we have no plans to slow down! We take great pride in our company values and culture; we regularly host socials and strive to create a working environment where our employees enjoy coming into work.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious finance professional to join a fast growing and rapidly changing organisation. We are seeking for a Financial Controller to manage the financial operations of the UK Agency Services business within a large group. Working closely with the Finance Director to support various commercial financial initiatives. This role assumes management responsibility for the London based Agency Services Finance team and will be key to the development of the Finance function, driving insightful analysis to support decision making and strategic choices.
Responsible for coordinating management reports and setting reporting requirements, you will also review current practices, make recommendations for significant improvement and drive these into implementation. This includes working with regional finance teams in delivering streamlined, timely and insightful management information, strengthening financial controls across the business and ensuring a strong compliance culture.
Within the last two years Merkle have acquired a number of businesses that currently operate as separate legal entities. As Merkle UK grows, intercompany requirements for the UK group is expanding. This role will interface with colleagues in Barcelona, London, Bristol and Edinburgh and form part of a Finance team of circa 30 people.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual to make a difference in a growing team and business, support our international success and develop a career in a fast paced organisation where no one day is the same!
Life as a Financial Controller at Merkle
We are a strong, high performing team within the business with a reputation for delivering financial information in a very timely manner to a high standard. Our internal stakeholders have high expectations and we operate in a fast-paced environment; It’s a roll-up your sleeves and get stuck in type of role!
- Participate as a member of the EMEA Finance management team to plan and lead the reporting processes across the business.
- Liaise with international accountants to coordinate consolidated accounts.
- Produce accurate and high-quality consolidated reports and presentations to deadline; including both routine and ad hoc reporting for review.
- Perform financial analysis; including Key Performance Indicators and ad-hoc analysis to support decision making.
- Identify, and drive to implementation, improvements to the management information, financial systems and decision-making practices across the business.
- Implementation of new ERP systems.
- Lead Balance Sheet review, reconciliation process and accruals ensuring best practice.
- Cash flow forecasting, budgetary control and FX Hedging.
- Oversee billings, credit control and credit insurance.
- Manage SG&A reporting and allocation identifying savings opportunities where possible.
- Coordination and management of annual audit with external auditors.
- Meet statutory preparation and filing deadlines, ensuring the company correctly complies with all taxation legislations, including employment taxes, VAT, and Corporation Tax.
- Managing relationships and information requests from external authorities, mostly HMRC.
- Communicate and explain accounting issues and evolving accounting guidance to the management team.
- Integrating new business acquisitions into the ideal reporting structure.
- Development of the finance team whilst ensuring strong succession paths.
- Ad hoc work as required by the FD.
A few of the benefits
As we progress and develop as a company, you will too. Within our fast-growing company, there’s plenty of opportunity to develop your skill set and you’ll be encouraged to be curious and share new ideas. In exchange for your contribution to our award-winning company, we make sure you take advantage of a generous holiday allowance and are paid a competitive salary. We’re really proud of our company values and culture; we have regular company / team socials and want all our employees to enjoy coming into work. Some of our benefits include:
- Friendly, approachable office atmosphere - and business-casual dress code
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- Free breakfast (toast, spreads, fresh fruit, coffee, tea)
- Regular company socials
- The company pays for lunch on the last Friday of every month
- On Friday’s at 4:30pm (Four Thirsty) everyone can help themselves to a celebratory drink
- Cycle2Work scheme, free eye tests, a company mobile phone and season ticket loans (post 3-month probation)
What we are looking for in you
- Qualified Accountant with circa 3 years PQE with experience of working for a Group company essential.
- An experienced people manager with the ability to nurture and develop talent.
- Media sector experience preferred.
- Experience with Navision and Salesforce desirable.
- Technically strong, with a background in implementing and streamlining
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence and challenge senior stakeholders.
- Strategic planning and analytical abilities.
- Proactive with keeping up to date with IFRS and statutory requirements.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time. Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.