Lead Analytical Consultant
Merkle | Aquila is a data analytics company focused on extracting the maximum value from data, translating it into decisions which empower our clients to take better actions.
We are a growing team based in Edinburgh, London Derby and Bristol. As we expand into new markets, we are always on the look-out for talented and experienced practitioners to work on a number of exciting projects. We offer a relaxed but dynamic environment, with a culture of mutual respect and support. Our people love working here because of the interesting variety of our projects, the great people and the freedom to deliver.
In June 2017 we joined the Merkle organisation as part of its drive to become a worldwide leader in personalised data-driven digital marketing. Merkle, part of the Dentsu Aegis Network, is major Global player in this market, and together we are working to build a unified operation to deliver best-in-class services worldwide. Together we are working to build a uniﬁed operation with market leading capabilities.
Role title: Lead Analytical Consultant
Location: This role is full-time and located in our International House office at 1 St Katharine’s Way, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1UN.
Vacancy Open: 20/8/2019
Vacancy Closing Date: 19/9/2019
Our Lead Analytical Consultants play a key role at Merkle |Aquila, continually striving to make their clients superstars through analytical and evidence-led decision making. They deliver cutting edge, commercial analytics which make a difference for customers at the shelf edge whilst leading and mentoring a team.
Within this role, postholders will want to engage with clients and internal stakeholders in order to help understand their challenges. These roles are able to translate analytical requirements into technical objectives. Working closely with colleagues across the organization to help achieve our Clients objectives through innovative solutions whilst using a variety of languages and software.
Life as a Lead Analytical Consultant at Merkle | Aquila
Internal Stakeholder Management:
- Responsible for proactively seeking formal and informal feedback, individually and for direct reports, whilst promoting best practice of work and liaising with colleagues to ensure the right result.
- Ensure colleagues are updated in how work is progressing toward the final result, providing support and guidance to others where appropriate.
- Ensure all company documents, data and equipment are securely transmitted, stored and archived in line with the Information Security Policy. Ensure compliance with Information Security Policy and escalate any breaches to relevant parties.
- Proactively suggesting ways to share with wider group and may take the lead on this or work with Elder(s).
Client Stakeholder Management:
- Building strong relationships with the client; confident with day to day interactions with clients, expressing professional views.
- Continually working to help client understand what is possible for them; suggesting a better way of doing things – becoming the client’s secret weapon!
- Responsible for helping client understand what is possible for them, work closely with colleagues to achieve best results and develop stakeholder relationships, providing guidance and sharing best practice with direct reports and wider team.
- Providing and sharing key knowledge and skills (across Analytics, Digital, Tools and Technologies, Methodologies, Big Data, Research, Problem Solving etc.) with others.
- Understanding key skills and knowledge of direct reports, proactively, proactively providing and share key knowledge and skills with others - respond to Team's requests, ear to the ground, planning ahead. Develop analytical specialism & upskill via Aquila School/workshops.
- Active QA (i.e. self QA and QA colleagues’ work) and ensure standard of delivery is excellent
- Promoting best practice with colleagues across all internal and client engagements
- Proactive approach to transfer of knowledge between projects, consider how best can lessons learned be shared and drive this within and across Clans.
- Adhering to QA protocol (i.e. code structure, file structure, QA process etc.) as it is developed whilst following PM and billing guidelines.
- Working with Commercial in shaping up new solutions.
- Delivering regular updates to colleagues on project status, against plan.
- Proactive approach to shaping new solutions, understanding of resourcing considerations and requirements. Work with clients to define brief, objectives and timescales
- Adapting results based on client feedback (including challenging across the organisation). Appropriately escalating to senior colleagues, as appropriate.
Billing and Income Tracker:
- Ensure timesheets are up-to-date, seeking feedback from colleagues as to whether time is being recorded as expected.
- Following company guidelines in relation to billing/project management.
- Aware of importance of monitoring income versus plan and associated target impacts. May have some delegated responsibility for monitoring and reporting in absence.
- Ensure skills survey and Aquila CV, individual and for direct reports, is up-to-date
- Raising resource requirements to appropriate colleagues, who can then escalate as required highlighting development opportunities and contributing to discussions for direct reports,
- Understanding of implications (e.g. financial) of using Discovery Platform tools ineffectively.
- When requested, provide input to suggested resolutions regarding staff resourcing (eg over/under utilisation)
Client and Business Development:
- Articulating the Aquila product propositions to existing and prospective clients.
- Participate in public speaking and opinion pieces to build reputation.
- Ensuring client development opportunities reach appropriate colleagues.
- Personally help conversion of new business to longer-term prospects. Checking for client opportunities via meetings, e.g. crew meetings.
- Consider ways to measure if campaigns are cutting across markets and brands, considering if there are any business development opportunities to capitalise on.
- Leads a Client Team, with minimal support from others. Responsible for determining most appropriate approach to analysis and present back clear, commercially-focused results and findings.
- Line Management accountabilities, for up to 4 employees, success of which is determined by an ability to engage, develop, coach and balance direct reports needs with the increased growth and success of the business.
- Work with colleagues to help set probationary objectives and complete probationary review for new employees.
- Obtaining client governance feedback, where appropriate, to be discussed with relevant colleagues. Collaborating with colleagues (i.e. Dedicated Elder, Career Mentor and People Clan) to agree on areas for development from feedback and include in Personal Strategy.
- Keeping abreast of new developments and applications relevant to the organisation, within our and our clients’ industries.
- Assisting in recruitment-related activities, eg interviewing and developing processes such as the Aquila Graduate Development Programme in collaboration with the talent acquisition team, this include design or interview format and initial training for graduates
- Being an Aquila Buddy for new employees; understanding key areas to share. Recommending internal training/materials/tools/exercises etc.
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle | Aquila social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too!
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Company Pension, life insurance, health insurance and other corporate benefits
- 28 days Annual Leave plus your birthday off
- Free breakfast & fruit
- Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
- Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
- A selection of other industry standard benefits
Essential Skills and Experience
- Analytical mind-set.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL or R.
- Experience working with (very) large and messy datasets.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of relational database design concepts.
- Code automation and optimization.
- Maths, Stats, Operational Research Degree.
- Significant previous experience in analytical role
- Line Management experience
- Hadoop, Hive, Spark or equivalent
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experience mentoring early career team members
Desirable Skills and Experience
- MSc in numerical subject
- Tableau and/or Power BI
- Knowledge of another language is a plus
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time. Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.