Director of Development Operations
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Director of Development Operations will have the passion and drive to achieve, delivering world-class operational performance. Sites, applications, systems and servers that hiccup drive you crazy. You take personal pride in multiple nines uptime and high customer satisfaction. You are passionate, curious and excited by new technology and developments within the technology industry. You never perform the same task twice, automating whatever you can. You will apply this passion with strong problem solving skills and the ability to approach problems logically and analytically. If you ever read Visible Ops, and or the Dev Ops Manifesto and got goose bumps – this is the position for you. While on-call emergencies will arise – you will be given the responsibility and support to design & implement systems that are resilient, well monitored, and highly available.
- Develop a working knowledge of Digital Marketing principles and techniques to help in delivering cutting edge big data products.
- Establish a center of excellence operations & infrastructure group to establish best practices and standard technologies.
- Assist development teams in implementing best practices and architectural decisions.
- Review proposed architectures and deployment plans.
- Assist in transforming plans into actionable, deployable tasks.
- Help identify architecture & technology re-use across development teams, facilitating collaboration between infrastructure engineers
- Act as a subject matter expert, referee, and trusted advisor to a center of excellence team, and the larger organization on matters of IT operations, service support, CI/CD, security management, and all things cloud.
- Foster a culture of trust, integrity, accountability, service, and sense of urgency.
- Work with remote teams with the same respect and efficiency as your team mates sitting next to you.
- Establish and maintain a culture that puts the product development team as the primary customer for all operations group services.
- Investigate, develop, monitor and administer programmatically scalable infrastructure components using AWS.
- Ensure backups and disaster recovery plans are current and in compliance with corporate directives.
- Participate in improving of capacity planning, operational budget tracking and system monitoring.
- Assist with applying corporate standards of user management, security, and auditability to internal products
- Contribute and maintain procedures for proactive 24/7 incident reporting, escalation, and resolution for all key systems.
- 5 Years of continuous AWS Experience
- 3-5 Years of Enterprise System Design, Cloud / Outsourced Hosting a strong plus
- 5-10 Years of Linux system administration experience
- 5+ Years of background working with storage and networking systems.
- 5+ Years experience scripting in Bash, Perl, Python/Ruby, and/or Java
- 3+ Years of experience with VMware, KVM, Xen, and/or Hyper-V
- 2+ Years working with Public Cloud Technologies (AWS strongly preferred)
- 1+ Years working with or around code repository systems (Git, SVN, Bitbucket)
- 1+ Years working with Container technologies: Docker, EC2 Container Service, Kubernetes, etc
- Experience / familiarity with Jenkins, Maven, or other CI/CM Tools a strong plus
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Ability to code and script
- Strong knowledge of OS image deployments and other rapid rebuilding techniques
- Experience with large systems and IT operations
- Experience researching and designing scalable, highly available systems
- Being comfortable with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
- Strong grasp of automation tools
- Data management skills
- Understanding and focus on business outcomes
- Understanding and efficiency in collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Experience working with Big Data systems (Hadoop/Hue/Spark/Hive) a large plus
- Ability to motivate people
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.