Junior Database Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a Global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
With our Head Office in Columbia, Maryland and offices US wide, we continue to grow at a rapid rate across Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
This role will require travel to client site in the London region on a weekly basis
The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle in the UK; we have made several acquisitions, secured incredible new premises and have attracted renowned experts to diversify our offering.
Life as a Junior Database Engineer at Merkle
Your day to day role will be working alongside experienced, highly skilled database engineers in supporting, and developing, new and existing large-scale enterprise data solutions. With appropriate support from technical leads and senior developers, you will be responsible for developing new functionality according to a commercial brief, update existing functionality depending on requirements, performing peer-reviews to ensure code adheres to best practice, fit for purpose and scalable, and document technical processes in a clear and highly detailed fashion.
You will support troubleshooting technical issues such as database performance issues, failed ETL loads and bug fixes with guidance and direction from more senior members of the team.
This role will give you the following opportunities:
- Ability to work on (and get your teeth into as this is a hands-on role) a truly diverse blue-chip Client portfolio across a number of industry sectors.
- Longer term opportunity to work across a number of complex solutions, using latest technologies such as Native cloud technologies, Connected Customer Engagement, Big Data, Omni-Channel Marketing, 360 Single Customer Views, DMPs and Customer Data Platforms
- Ability to attend industry conferences and technical events, internal innovation and best practice forums to keep abreast of market changes and emerging technologies.
- Innovation and training time to develop your skills and encourage continued professional development.
- Career progression: through our structured appraisal system to encourage continuous development
- Opportunity to rub minds with the best minds in the business – we pride ourselves on being approachable and collaborative
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too. Some of the benefits to look forward to:
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Company pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- Free breakfast, fruit and most importantly, biscuits!
- Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
- Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
- A selection of other industry standard benefits
What we are looking for in you
- It is anticipated the candidate will have circa 1 years’ experience and good understanding of relation databases and/or data warehouses (Kimball methodology or other methodology i.e. Inmon, 3NF)
- Ideally Marketing Agency/Service Industry exposure is desired
- It is anticipated that the candidate will have circa 1 years’ experience working with ETL tools and concepts for example SSIS, Informatica, Talend, Oracle etc
- It is anticipated that the candidate will have circa 1 years’ SQL (ANSI SQL / T-SQL) development experience for exampled MS SQL Server, Oracle, IBM Netezza etc
- It is anticipated the candidate will have circa 1 years’ experience of working with data relating to people / personal information data processing
- Exposure to Source Control systems such as Team Foundation Server (TFS) or GIT
- An excellent communicator to both internal and external audiences in a Client-facing role
- Software and application development experience with the ability to understand the full solution
- Appreciation for handling and protection of information, reporting security events and adhering to appropriate policies and procedures
- Awareness of GDPR and with a view to following governance around Privacy by Design and Rights of the Individual
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.