Graduate Data Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
Merkle, headquartered in the States, have focused on expansion by acquiring businesses internationally and by joining the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the largest Global media companies, in 2016. This has offered us opportunity to further expand our growth and services in the MENA region. The last twelve months have been a whirlwind of pitch wins, new hires and expansion for Merkle EMEA and MENA.
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our Data Engineering team at Merkle | Aquila to focus on delivering solutions to clients. In this role you will have the opportunity to work with clients from a wide range of sectors, understand their specific requirements and liaise with data scientists and analytical consultants.
As a Graduate Data Engineer, you’ll work on our data engineering projects to:
· Design great data solutions for our clients
· Support and work alongside our data scientists and data analysts also working on projects
· Provide technical expertise and consultancy to clients to help them understand the power of big data analytics for their organisation
· Analyse underlying infrastructure, security, automation and data architectures to help our product team refine existing capabilities in Discovery and create new functionality.
Life as a Graduate Data Consultant at Merkle | Aquila
We offer support and development from our highly skilled Engineering team to help prepare you for your role in data engineering. You'll be assigned a Career Mentor who will provide you with guidance to enable you to develop your knowledge and skills and help you to define your career path. Career progression is huge to us here at Merkle Aquila and we’re keen to nurture and develop each individual, so they build a long-lasting career with us.
Many of our graduates will also have the opportunity to spend time on client sites around the in the early stages of the programme to allow development of client facing skills. This particular role will have travel opportunities around the world, including UK and UAE.
Alongside your client responsibilities there are many opportunities to attend industry events, get involved in existing internal initiatives or even start up your own!
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle | Aquila social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too!
· Career development through internal crowds, Merkle University, and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
· Friendly, approachable office atmosphere - and business-casual dress code
· Company Pension, life insurance, health insurance and other corporate benefits
· 28 days Annual Leave (plus bank holidays)
· 2 additional days off for volunteering and your birthday!
· Free breakfast (toast spreads, fresh fruit, coffee, tea)
· Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
· Regular company socials (bowling, quiz nights, annual Christmas and Summer parties to name a few!)
· On Friday’s at 4:30pm (aka. Four Thirsty) everyone can help themselves to a celebratory drink
· A selection of other industry standard benefits
· Discounted gym memberships
What we are looking for in you
· Analytical solution design and development
· Distributed computing, data and application architectures, basic networking, security and infrastructure
· Effective communication and conflict resolution skills
· Writing great code to create production-strength data pipelines
· Continuous integration
· Willingness to travel within and out with the UK
· Cloud computing (AWS, Azure,) and its security, automation and manageability
· Relational and non-relational databases and when to use them
· Experience or knowledge with one or more of the code management systems Technologies we’re using:
o Microsoft Azure services including Azure Data Factories, Azure Data Lake,
o AWS services including EC2, S3 and EMR, Spark and Zeppelin
· Knowledge of Scala is beneficial, but you’ll get practice if you’re not an expert!
An added bonus:
· Ability to drive own priorities
· Confidence working alone; proactively getting input when needed
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.