Staff Accountant, Accounting and Finance
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Staff Accountant primary role will be to own and oversee the Intercompany process between Merkle and DAN Brands. The month end process includes but is not limited to ensuring the timely and accurate reporting of monthly operating expenses (IC and non IC). A successful candidate will be focused on team goals, creating and establishing procedures, process improvement and skill development and training.
The Staff Accountant’s areas of responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Journal Entries: Responsible for the creation and posting of both standard and non-standard monthly journal entries with appropriate supporting documentation.
- Intercompany Accounting: Responsible for processing Inter Company (IC) invoices and vouchers, Recording IC related journal entries (FX and adjusting entries toward the end of the month). Reporting IC balances to parent company. Liaison between internal teams and IC counterparties to facilitate any accruals and to finalize reporting before IC deadline. Investigate and resolve reconciling intercompany differences.
- Month End Close: Execute all month-end responsibilities within expected timelines. Update and maintain assigned monthly account reconciliations. This will include analysis and timely resolution of monthly variances.
- Internal Reporting: Respond to various requests from Operations and Finance partners. Pull vendor invoices and prepare monthly schedules. Prepare various ad-hoc analyses for Management.
- Accounting GL Team Support: Provide support for interim and annual audits, foreign subsidiary financial statement reporting, and parent company reporting requirements.
- ERP Implementation: Assist with testing and implementing ERP system.
- Other Ad hoc Projects and Requests
- B.S. in Accounting, MBA or CPA track preferred
- 2+ years experience in the Accounting/Finance field
- Month end close experience
- Advanced Excel Skills
- Experience with process improvement and improving process workflows
- Strong, effective written and oral communications skills
- Experience with complex, integrated accounting systems
- Ability to resolve complex operational and accounting issues
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.