Director, Data Engineering
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios.
The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage.
With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Director, Data Engineering will drive and execute on our data-driven reporting opportunities our client’s marketing programs. They will work closely with our Strategy and Insights teams and business leaders to identify and deliver solutions around our warehoused data to our customers through dashboards and supporting aggregate sources that enable our client to make informed strategic decisions. They will also work closely with other divisions within Merkle to support our larger initiatives around data identity, security, and integration.
Description & Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary lead on program scoping, development and implementation related to Data aggregation, availability, reporting, and dashboarding
- Provide thought leadership and act as the subject matter expert in the deployment of analytical approaches
- Develop measurement plans and strategies to improve the effectiveness of the program
- Manipulate and analyze complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources using a variety of tools and data analysis techniques
- Deliver on ambiguous projects with multiple stakeholders, unclear requirements and incomplete data
- Apply statistical concepts and techniques to analyze experiments and user behavior
- Design and recommend appropriate analytic methodology and approach
- Manage the tools, systems, and services needed for Data Warehousing
- Manage the analysis and interpretation of program performance
- Ensure delivery and integration of conclusions/recommendations and actionable insights
- Partner with external analytical stakeholders to plan, execute and analyze the program’s performance
- Provide measurement and analytics strategy for new business pitches
- Lead a team of 5-10 data engineers in their daily work and career growth.
- 10+ years of related analytics and business intelligence experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a quantitative field
- 5+ years of experience in leading Data or Analytics teams
- Experience at a Director level of Data or Analytics teams a plus
- Experience designing and delivering client specific Data Offerings
- Direct experience with client communication, pre-sales, sales, and/or client delivery
- Ability to write and extract data using SQL queries
- Proficient on querying and reducing data from repositories such as SQL Server, Cosmos or Hadoop
- Knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, SPSS, SAS or equivalent
- Knowledge of the digital marketing ecosystem and fluency with common web technologies is strongly preferred
- Implementation Knowledge of columnar systems like Redshift
- Knowledge of data transfer and transformative systems like Matillion and Pentaho a plus
- Experience with Power BI and/or Tableau a plus
- Familiarity with offer testing methodology a plus
- Excellent strategic thinking and prioritization skills
- Aptitude to make recommendations and decisions independently
- Experience selling ideas to management and making convincing arguments based on insights extracted from the data
- Strong organizational skills in task prioritization, effective time management, meeting facilitation, conflict resolution, and risk identification/mitigation
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
FLSA Status: Exempt
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.