Senior Software Engineer (Java)
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
The Senior Software Engineer plays a leadership role in all aspects of Merkle P&LS software projects. They contribute to business requirements gathering, uses case development, technical specification analysis, system design and software architecture. They are responsible for writing code, testing, launching and providing support for large development projects. Senior Software Engineers interact directly with internal and external clients to help brainstorm and create technical solutions to business problems. They lead small technical teams through delivery, create system and unit tests, and bring significant technical depth and creativity to projects.
- Solve global Merkle P&LS problems through the careful application of technology and process
- Write high quality, tested, high-capacity and maintainable software
- Design modern, reliable and reusable systems
- Decompose complex problems into manageable tasks
- Train, mentor, and provide leadership to members of the Software Engineering Team
- Write technical specifications, runtime instructions, training materials and architecture documentation for Merkle P&LS systems
- Help develop best practices, technology efficiencies, and streamline workflow
- Design data models and write efficient queries in MySQL
- Collaborate in design and code reviews
- Collaborate with wider Merkle P&LS teams to arrive at sound technical solutions to business problems
- Interact with internal and external clients to develop business and technical specification materials
- Significant expertise and depth in developing solutions in Java and SQL (PostgresSQL)
- 5+ years of Software Engineering experience
- 8+ years of Technology Industry experience
- Develop within an iterative Agile framework process
- Experience in automated software testing, real-time system integration, database programming, web programming and network programming
- Exceptional technical writing, communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Innovative and proven problem-solving skills
- BA/BS degree in computer science or equivalent experience
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
Perks & Benefits
Merkle offers a flexible vacation policy, retirement benefits, paid sick leave, generous health, dental and vision insurance options, parental leave, adoption benefits, and more. We recognize high-performers and provide long-term growth opportunities. We hope you'll join us!
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
FLSA Status: Exempt