Content Strategy Manager
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 9,600+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 50+ additional offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network. For more information, contact Merkle at 1-877-9-Merkle or visit www.merkleinc.com.
The core function of the job is to develop content strategies that meet clients’ business objectives and end users’ needs. Candidate must be able to translate strategies into planning, execution, and optimization of content on websites, apps, portals, and other digital experiences. Additionally, this proven strategist must be able to gather key business and user insights and create a long-term vision for the brand’s content needs.
- Lead the development and execution of holistic content strategies.
- Ability to take a comprehensive and strategic approach to storytelling, tying together big ideas/concepts in ways that engage customers and are novel and innovative.
- Ability to participate in creative concepting with brand, UX, strategy, and creative teams and then be able to present (and sell) ideas in a clear voice with a strong point-of-view that aligns with brand and business objectives.
- Oversee content requirements and create a clear content strategy framework with deliverables across the life cycle of a project, leading the effort end-to-end. This includes everything from content audits/gap analyses, to developing content strategies and roadmaps that align to stated business objectives.
- Create and maintain editorial calendars, content playbooks, voice/tone guides, taxonomies, metadata frameworks, content guidelines and management, and content migration plans for clients.
- Participate in content creation with team members, including copywriters, editors, and proofreaders for work including but not limited to deliverables such as content matrices, copy deck management, and editorial guidelines.
- Manage a small team of writers and editors (as well as contractors/vendors when appropriate), assisting in business development, and be involved in the technical integration of content.
- Mentor team members (junior, mid-level, and even senior content writers/editors) to increase their impact, develop their strengths, and grow their careers by providing regular performance feedback, check-ins, and reviews for your direct reports.
- Work closely with other project teams like Research, UX, UI/Creative, SEO, Account, Strategy, Business Analysis, and Project Management to deliver a cohesive, collaborative, and consistent customer experience.
- 6 years’ experience in Content Strategy, Copywriting, UX writing, or related field
- 2+ years of direct people management experience
- Degree in Writing, Journalism, Literature, Communications, Marketing, or related field
- Collaborative, communicative, detail-oriented, organized, and personable
- Great presentation skills (to internal teams, leadership, and clients)
- A mix of big picture thinking and detail-oriented execution
- Ability to balance and prioritize when to dive deep and investigate or make quick decisions and iterate/test
- Proactive and go-getter mentality (with business development, process improvement, operations, client work, etc.)
- Can be operational focused as needed (developing/refining processes, hiring/shifting team members, and improving
- Proven track record that enables them to confidently work together with cross-functional teams
- Technology platform and Content Management System experience preferred
- Agency experience preferred (including experience across a variety of verticals, as well as B2B and B2C experience)
Please include a link to samples of your work that show experience developing content strategies and executing elements of those strategies. This may include workflows, content templates, style guides, or content standards you’ve defined/developed. Please also include examples of hands-on work you’ve done creating or editing content for websites and apps, including but not limited to microcopy, user education, product copy, thought leadership, and marketing communication.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.