Legal Counsel (Employment)
Dentsu is a modern marketing solutions company. Our mission is to help clients navigate, progress and thrive in a world of change. Businesses rely on our integrated network of agencies and specialized practices to champion meaningful progress through creative, media, commerce, data and technology. Part of Dentsu Group, our global network comprises 66,000 diverse people in 143 countries, who are dedicated to teaming for growth and good. Some of our award-winning agencies include 360i, Carat, dentsumcgarrybowen, DEG, dentsuX, iProspect and Merkle. Follow us on Twitter @DentsuUSA and visit dentsu.com/us.
We are champions for meaningful progress and we strive to be a force for good—for our people, for our clients, for the industry and for our society. We keep our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. We embed diversity, in our mindset, in our solutions and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators with each other and with our clients, driving better outcomes for all.
Our legal team is committed to the General Counsel Oath, which sets out to use our collective power, influence and knowledge as legal and compliance professionals to:
- set a standard for personal and professional behavior
- improve access to justice
- promote anti-racism
- eliminate institutional bias
- and support diversity, equity and inclusion within our teams and throughout our organizations.
You can read more about the General Counsel Oath at https://generalcounseloath.com/about/
We are looking for a lawyer to be a part of dentsu’s Legal & Compliance team in the Americas to provide practical and clear legal advice on a broad range of employment-related topics and ensure dentsu’s compliance with employment laws. This lawyer will be a member of our employment law and employee relations team and will work closely with the Americas and Global Legal & Compliance Team including our internal clients including business leaders, Human Resources, Diversity Equity & Inclusion, Finance, Technology, Operations and others.
We are looking for a thoughtful and creative, collaborative individual, with a client-service mindset, who will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and intellectually challenging work environment. This position provides a great opportunity to practice law with a focus on our people, in alignment with dentsu’s core values and business and strategic objectives, with an eye towards operational excellence, consistency, compliance, and sound change management. The successful candidate will join a large and vibrant international community of lawyers who provide practical and focused legal advice supporting dentsu as it drives sustainable business growth for our clients.
Responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Provide legal and strategic advice on a broad range of employment law issues related to recruiting, onboarding, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour law, anti-discrimination and retaliation, pay equity, and employee mobility.
- Advise on employment-related policies, documents, and contracts.
- Assist with employment-related merger and acquisition due diligence.
- Manage employment-related investigations and disputes, including demand letters and litigations.
- Contribute to training regarding employment best practices.
- Monitor employment-related legal developments, and work with the employment law and employee relations team to advise the business on same.
- Collaborate effectively with the Legal & Compliance team and our internal stakeholders across dentsu to help resolve employment-related legal issues.
- Advocate for finding the “right” answer, which is one that is compliant and meets business goals, while ensuring we remain committed to dentsu’s core values and our people.
- Lawyer in good standing in at least one State Bar, with 2+ years of employment law experience, with sufficient experience to handle role responsibilities with minimum guidance.
- Prior in-house or law firm experience advising multi-state employer(s) strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with California employment laws is a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is a plus.
- Is passionate about their work and dedicated to being an ambassador for dentsu’s mission and culture.
- Is collaborative and has a positive attitude with a client-service mentality.
- Has a desire to learn and grow.
- Exercises good judgment and business sense.
- Is experienced at working independently, but recognizes when to ask for help or escalate issues.
- Can manage internal client requests appropriately and can thrive in an open, dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Has the ability to handle sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion, respect, and integrity.
- Has strong time management, organization, project management, and prioritization skills, with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects/matters to closure.
- Believes in the importance of contributing to social impact, DEI and pro bono initiatives at dentsu.
- Has solid communication skills.
Employees from diverse or underrepresented backgrounds encouraged to apply.
Dentsu (the "Company") is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee of the Company, on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done that will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing an undue hardship on the Company. Please contact [email protected] if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process or to request or discuss an accommodation in connection with a job at the Company to which you are applying.