Global Chief Technology Officer, Experience & Commerce
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 9,600+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 50+ additional offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined dentsu. For more information, contact Merkle at 1-877-9-Merkle or visit www.merkleinc.com.
We are champions for meaningful progress and we strive to be a force for good—for our people, for our clients, for the industry and for our society. We keep our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. We embed diversity, in our mindset, in our solutions and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators with each other and with our clients, driving better outcomes for all. Merkle is an agency of dentsu.
Merkle is looking for a Technology Leader who can set the vision for Merkle’s role in digital transformation. While the focus of this role is experience and commerce technologies, our goal is to lead our clients to thrive at a time of technology disruption and we’re looking for a leader who can inspire our teams and clients to effectively navigate these waters with the application of advanced technology, systems and processes.
We’re looking for a leader who is passionate about building powerful and diverse teams – who inspires and brings out the best in people. We want a leader who is optimistic about the future that technology can help create, a leader who has lived in the trenches of deep and complex technology integration but also in the future of machine learning and artificial intelligence. We’re looking for a leader who is a champion of digital product management and agile ways of work.
Our CTO will work closely with other executives to drive the strategic roadmap of Merkle’s Experience and Commerce practice, but also of Merkle as a whole. They will be at the forefront of any M&A as we look to scale key capabilities. They will spearhead our efforts to acquire, train and inspire our people. They will also oversee the development of products within the Experience & Commerce practice. These products power the services that we deliver for our clients.
The CTO will of course provide technology oversight and guidance for our most important clients. The right hire must be able to identify industry trends and strategic opportunities to maintain and extend Merkle’s position as an industry leader. You must be an expert in standard web application development solutions, including application server platforms, cloud architecture, content management, and commerce systems. We are seeking a veteran technology leader and consultant who is as adept at coaching and inspiring teams as they are at shaping strategy — and as comfortable providing 1-on-1 counsel to senior clients as they are at managing multiple initiatives spanning multiple platforms, touch-points, technologies, and time zones.
- Establish the technology vision for Experience & Commerce and provide leadership for the 2,000+ employees within the service area and across Merkle
- Serve as a trusted advisor for clients, providing executive-level technology guidance and overseeing the delivery of complex technology programs and initiatives
- Define the technology POV, solutions, and storytelling for significant new business pitches
- Provide support for engagement scoping, define the deliverable approach and project timelines, and outline the required team structure
- Create strong executive relationships with key alliance partners
- Expand talent in our global delivery capabilities across key global delivery centers
- Build repeatable processes for core offerings
- Provide technical and delivery oversight across multiple technology engagements
- Assist in the definition and management of Merkle’s portfolio of capabilities
- Establish and maintain technical / strategic relationships with vendors, partners, and potential clients
- Refine existing models and develop new approaches for delivery of technology engagements
- Mentor technical architects, senior developers, and technology leaders across the global organization
- Define and drive the technology innovation agenda for Experience & Commerce, maintaining a strong pulse and POV on key technology trends and serving as an evangelist for continual evolution
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, IT, or Computer Science
- 15+ years of experience in software development consulting and/or systems integration, with progressively increasing levels of scope and responsibility
- 10+ years defining and leading technology strategy within large professional services firms and/or F500 enterprises
- Demonstrated ability to build “trusted advisor” relationships with senior client-side business and technology leaders
- Track record of success leading development of complex desktop and mobile applications
- Experience with Salesforce's various cloud offerings (Commerce, Service, Marketing, etc.)
- Experience with major ecommerce platforms (Magento, SalesForce/Demandware, Shopify, Oracle, Hybris, etc.)
- Experience with major content management software solutions (e.g., Adobe Experience Manager, Drupal, Sitecore)
- Experience with major analytics packages (e.g. Adobe Analytics, Google)
- Knowledge of multiple front-end languages and libraries (e.g. HTML5, CSS3, ECMA Script 6)
- Knowledge of API gateways and management software (Apigee, Azure API Management, Mulesoft, AWS API Gateway)
- Deep experience with cloud-based architectures and significant knowledge of at least one major cloud provider (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Azure and Google Cloud), including knowledge of provider-specific service offerings and managed platforms (Elastic Beanstalk, Azure App Service, Lambda, RDS, etc.)
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design proficiency with Git version control system
- Experience with business analysis / requirements gathering, functional design, technical design, content migration, and development; familiarity with user experience and visual design methodologies
- Experience with Software Development Life Cycle and Agile methodologies
- Experience with project team mentorship and issue resolution skills to ensure on-time delivery, customer satisfaction, team satisfaction, and quality assurance
- Experience with project scoping, planning, and resource management
- Expertise in the design, implementation, and optimization of complex enterprise applications
- Strong leadership and multitasking capability, with proven ability to manage and inspire multiple technical project teams simultaneously
- Keen eye for talent, with proven track record of building and managing high-performing, industry-leading technology teams
- Exceptional collaboration skills, with a track record of success working with cross-functional colleagues in a fluid, highly matrixed environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; high level of comfort presenting persuasively to senior-level decision makers
- Experience leading and working successfully with diverse, globally distributed teams, clients, and partners; adept at defining and managing hybrid delivery solutions combining onshore, nearshore, and offshore technology teams and resources
- Passion for innovation, experimentation, and technology-driven transformation of brands, businesses, and human experiences
Nice to Have
- Experience serving multiple industries, including financial services, insurance, media, healthcare, and retail/eCommerce
- Experience architecting solutions that include native mobile applications
- Experience with AI/ML frameworks, methodologies, tools, and solutions
- Experience with Hadoop / Map Reduce solutions and methodologies
- Prominent industry profile with portfolio of significant technology thought leadership
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.