Creative Director, Copy
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency's heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 5,500 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 24 additional offices in the US and 25 offices in Europe and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network.
We are champions for meaningful progress and we strive to be a force for good—for our people, for our clients, for the industry and for our society. We keep our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. We embed diversity, in our mindset, in our solutions and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators with each other and with our clients, driving better outcomes for all. Merkle is an agency of dentsu.
A Creative Director is responsible for inspiring teams to excel beyond the brief; to develop engaging work that has meaningful, measurable impact. They lead the copy, design, tone and direction of work from concept to execution. They are responsible for guiding the conceptual development and copy of a client(s) traditional and digital direct response products, and anticipate its impact. They lead and guide creative teams on multiple accounts and/or across multiple verticals. They are expected to nurture client relationships, develop creative talent, and sell work.
CREATIVE DIRECTION, DEVELOPMENT, & CONCEPTING
- Make sure work meets client objectives and achieves the agency’s financial objectives.
- Ensure that work meets or exceeds all quality standards of the agency.
- Ensure the development of consistently superior marketing materials that support established strategies and projects.
- Mentor Associate Creative Directors through communication and delegation of certain creative responsibilities; ensure ACDs understand how to evaluate work.
- Seek out new messaging innovations and technologies to cultivate new concepts, and promote exciting new ideas.
- Develop work that is conceptually rich and performance-driven to achieve marketing/strategic goals, while satisfy branding requirements of individual clients.
- Mentor junior members of the creative team and foster opportunity for creative growth.
- Guide teams through creative concepting, execution and delivery in accordance with departmental processes.
- Oversee creative choices as they relate to messaging strategies; elevate the quality of the work.
- Develop, present and sell creative concepts to clients. Communicate creative rationale to clients, defend the work and articulate reasons behind each choice.
- Work with client teams to move their agenda forward and solve problems.
- Participate in pitch strategy and demonstrate an ability to articulate those strategies as it relates to pitches.
CREATIVE TEAM LEADERSHIP DUTIES
- Inspire teams to perform at the maximum of their abilities.
- Work with Senior Creative Directors and Project Managers to assign work.
- Assure that creative work meets client objectives, follows strategies aligned to the brief and meets deadlines on budget.
- Work with the Senior Creative Directors to ensure work is meeting agency standards.
- Foster curiosity in teams; elevate departmental reputation as problem solvers.
- Works on issues where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth knowledge of organizational/client(s) objectives.
- Develops and administers schedules and performance requirements; may provide input to budget.
- Assists in the development and subsequent execution of new projects, policies and procedures to meet specified goals.
- Develops and communicates understanding of the industry.
- Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals.
- Excellent creative skills (written, visual, and conceptual).
- Excellent client service and presentation skills.
- Superior strategic thinking and concepting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of management systems and how organizations work and should be led.
- Strong understanding of print and online marketing.
- Fundamental understanding of technology platforms and media channels
PERFORMANCE IS MEASURED BY
- Ability to perform work on time and accurately.
- Ability to create direct response copy, art, concepts and suggestions that satisfy the client and their financial and fundraising objectives.
- Ability to think and plan creatively for clients and prospects.
- Ability to relate well to clients and prospects such that they respect him/her professionally and personally, and enjoy his/her work for and participation with them.
- Ability to guide agency work in such a manner that it results in the agency achieving its financial and reputational goals.
- Ability to inspire others to do their best work, plus develop and retain them.
- Demonstration of initiative in solving problems.
- Ability to follow procedures and policies.
- Ability to handle pressure and prioritize internal and external demands.
- Ability to work on a team, maintain a positive and professional demeanor, and accept constructive criticism in a professional, mature manner.
- Ability to get along with peers and management and maintain a willingness to work toward the goals and success of the organization as a whole, and uphold its vision, mission, values and goals.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.