Senior Cyber Security Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 9,600+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 50+ additional offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network. For more information, contact Merkle at 1-877-9-Merkle or visit www.merkleinc.com.
The Sr. Security Engineer, Managed Hosting role within Merkle is responsible for providing Tier 3 support for customer solutions and infrastructure within the Merkle environment across various technology components within the organization’s enterprise technology portfolio. The Engineer will deliver enterprise class capabilities and provide a wide range of engineering solutions. The candidate is the subject matter expert in their respective field and is called upon for most complex assignments. The Engineer is responsible for environment performance measurement, analysis and tuning in an enterprise hosting environment. They keep up to date on industry trends and deliver the highest level of customer service possible.
The Engineer role will report to the Director of IT. The role will work with a team of geographically distributed Merkle staff and contract employees.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Daily direct support of the Global Information Security Program
- Be a subject matter expert in the NIST and SOX Frameworks
- Security Incident response and investigations
- Documentation of Security Incidents and corresponding metrics
- Monitoring and ongoing tuning of the SIEM platforms
- Participate in the development of technology roadmaps that align with overall IT strategy and vision
- Provide support for all aspects of functional area, serves as an escalation point for Tier 2 support. This includes on-call and after hours support, participation in the incident triage, and following a sound troubleshooting process.
- Act as a coach and mentor for less experienced team members.
- Lead innovation, process improvement and standardization within the IT organization.
- Lead within discipline to develop best practices, case studies, training materials, and whitepapers. Present at Architecture Review Board, Lunch and Learn sessions, and training sessions.
- Anticipate risks and constraints and proactively work on solutions to address the risk/constraints, escalating as appropriate.
- Gather requirements, develop the delivery plan for solution and services milestones, managing expectations and coordinating delivery with internal team.
- Maintain in-depth awareness and fluency of the key features, functions, and/or industry trends around cybersecurity.
- Lead the evaluation process and recommend all product standards for Merkle infrastructure.
- Manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous incidents and Service Requests and drive resolution to technical incidents following the Merkle Incident Management Process.
- Perform post incident root cause analysis and write the associated RCA document.
- Uphold and promote Merkle’s core values and culture
Measures of Success:
- Consistently deliver IT solutions that exceed customer expectations on-time/budget.
- Successfully resolve technical incidents/service requests within SLA/OLA timeframe with a high level of quality, escalating where appropriate.
- Demonstrate a high level of customer service.
- Participate in the development of Merkle’s technology vision and strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a team and share knowledge with team members.
- Implementation and adoption of support processes and structures sufficient to ensure system stability and user satisfaction.
- Attain and maintain “expert level” recognition in Data Security.
- Contribute to the development and evolution of reference architectures.
- Positive recognition as noted on Employee and Customer satisfaction surveys, completed on a periodic basis.
Expert Knowledge of:
- A focus on Enterprise level security tools and solutions, including, but not limited to: DLP appliances and services, Web Proxy solutions, IDS/IPS solutions (TippingPoint/Juniper), SIEM (AlienVault and Splunk) and Firewall appliances (Juniper/Cisco).
- Write complex scripts/ queries/configurations to get forensic data and increase visibility of security events
- General networking, switching and routing, Cisco Switches/Routers appliances
- Enterprise productization processes, including developing product guides, asset management, data protection, capacity management, performance management, and lifecycle management.
- Enterprise System Management tools.
- Scripting languages, such as Perl, Bash, Linux Shell, PowerShell/vbScript.
Demonstrate the ability to:
- Work with the Network Engineering and Security Compliance team to establish the best deployment methods for security related tools and services.
- Meet project deadlines and manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects while adhering to a time allocation model
- Assess the scope and impact of incidents and respond, with a sense of urgency that matches the incident, following appropriate policies and procedures
- Multi-task, prioritize, manage workload and adapt to changing business conditions
- Tolerate stressful situations and remain focused under pressure
- Effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Manage through conflict and challenging situations with positive outcomes for the clients and Merkle.
- Develop and cultivate strategic relationships that benefit IT and Merkle.
- Make decisions and judgments based on standard procedures.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Contribute to Managed Hosting standards and best practices for processes, procedures, and technical standards.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree highly recommended and Master’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science preferred
- 5+ years of experience supporting security for enterprise-class solutions in a 24/7 environment
- 3+ years professional experience in designing technology solutions
- 3+ Years in Data Security and Security Incident response
- Current certifications within engineering discipline and IT industry (ITIL, CISSP, CCIE, MCSA/MCSE, RHCE) are highly desired.
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.