Business Systems Analyst
Comet Global Consulting/Merkle is a fast growing consultancy that specializes in inbound and outbound CRM, marketing and decision management solutions. We deliver high-impact strategy and technical consulting and provide ongoing development and operational support services. Initiatives are led by Client Engagement and Practice Leads with the expectation that the Business System Analyst will be involved from project definition through full project delivery, implementation and ongoing support.
The Business Systems Analyst is responsible for collaboration with clients and colleagues to define business and system requirements, perform business process analysis, and recommend solution options.
The ideal candidate will collect, analyze and clarify business requirements for new modules and enhancements to existing; specify functional and business requirements; design and prototype user interfaces; develop test plans and scripts based on the documented functionality.
This position works as part of a Cross Functional Team, reporting to the Delivery Manager.
User Requirements Gathering
- Collects, documents, interprets, analyzes and confirms specifications for new or enhanced functionality with internal and external business owners.
- Participates in logical design sessions associated with the implementation of business requirements. Captures business goals/needs effectively, following a standard process methodology.
- Clarifies and develops objectives and key issues in a structured manner.
- Presents requirements to stakeholders, confirming findings and/or making adjustments to documentation.
- Provides soundly based advice to both development team and business units, from a business and/or technical perspective.
- Documents logical/conceptual designs from requirements specifications.
- Analyzes requirements and works with the applications development function to develop appropriate logical solutions.
- Reviews & confirms with all stakeholders the suitability of proposed solutions including assessment of impact.
- Coordinates the preparation of user-acceptance criteria.
- As part of the cross functional team prepares reviews of specifications and contributes to risk-assessments.
- Acts as the liaison between the lines of business and the development team.
User Acceptance Testing Support (UAT)
- Negotiates acceptance criteria on behalf of the business.
- Facilitates the test instance through the acceptance phase through liaison with testing area and developers.
- Provides test strategies and advice in the preparation of suitable testing scenarios/tests and data.
- Manages requirements issues arising during testing.
- Assists in business procedure testing.
- Provides assistance to the QA team through UAT, as required.
- Documents and creates Functional Specifications, Functional Use Cases, including documented workflows, data flow diagrams, batch and online system process flows, screen prototypes and user/interface designs.
- Creates Post-implementation support documentation.
- As 3rd level Client Support, provides assistance in resolving client inquiries, as well as the effective and efficient service for the screening, prioritization and resolution of production defects.
- Contributes to the creating of QA documentation for user release.
- Provides advice/support for development of training programs.
- Provides assistance in diagnosing application issues.
- Liaises with external organizations where required.
- Contributes positively to the team environment to allow individual and team goals to be met.
- Facilitates strong communication channels between the team and key IT and business contacts.
- Follows written system procedures and policies in the execution of assigned duties.
- Collaborates with team members in evaluating existing processes and creating new processes when required.
- Provides sales support as an expert in their product area as needed.
- Provides support to marketing for the production of collateral to deepen understanding and trends of the market.
- Implements and maintains a personal development program that focuses on maintaining currency and enhancing technical skills in the areas of Information Technology and Business Analysis.
- Proactively identifies own training needs.
- Maintains a reading program that covers recent developments in IT and business analysis techniques.
- Engineering, Science or Computer Science undergraduate degree/diploma, or equivalent work experience.
Experience & Knowledge
- 5-8 years work experience within a technology organization as a Business Analyst.
- Demonstrated experience working within an SDLC such as RUP.
- Knowledge of Agile and Waterfall methodologies desired.
- User Interface Design
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple and concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated experience with developing Functional Specifications, Impact Assessments, Process and Data Flows, and Functional Use Cases.
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle and Project Delivery Process.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build business relationships.
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and all levels of management, including all Lines of Business and external stakeholders.
- Clear and concise writing and verbal skills are crucial to the ability to obtain and disseminate information.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to balance multiple concurrent assignments.
- Ability to summarize data into high-level themes.
- Collaborates with others, both internal staff and clients, with consideration and respect.
- Provides timely feedback and responses to all, especially clients.
- Represents company in a professional and positive manner.
Business Application Software
- Advanced skills with PC-based tools including MS project, MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint) required.
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL is a plus.
- Client focused.
- Business acumen.
- Solutions oriented problem solver.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- A strong team orientation.
- Proof of legal authority to work permanently in the U.S.
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.