Account Director - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
Founded as an independent media agency in 1996, Merkle | DWA is headquartered in San Francisco, with ten additional offices in the US, Europe and Asia-Pacific, employing >250 employees globally.
In December 2017 we were acquired by Merkle, part of dentsu. The move expanded the B2B offering at Merkle. dentsu announced the creation of Merkle B2B in September 2020, a group of world class B2B agencies under the dentsu umbrella offering end-to-end B2B experiences to global brands. As the media strategy and execution arm of Merkle B2B, Merkle | DWA is an integral part of this new company.
Merkle | DWA’s integration with dentsu’s B2B agencies offers employees the opportunity to collaborate with data, analytics, creative, and research professionals across the organization and for some of the world’s most renowned B2B brands, including Intel, Cisco, and Intuit.
A management role, the Account Director (AD) is to lead and grow all the accounts within their portfolio, and set their strategic tone. They will have responsibility for the P&L for their client set, for the professional development of their staff as well as fostering strong relationships with key clients.
The AD will take a prominent role in the local industry and promote the agency’s credentials externally. In addition, they will assist on new business projects as and when required.
Life as an Account Director at DWA, a Merkle Company
- A leadership role across multiple client accounts. Demonstrate strong account direction and ability to identify/implement growth opportunities
- Build a strong relationship with client leads and their teams, fulfilling a partnership role to their business
- Ability to direct client conversations, manage requirements and negotiate scope of services
Finance & Profitability
- Deep understanding of account profitability, scoping and staffing
- Responsible for drafting all Scope of Work documents for account campaigns and projects, for signature of Client Director
- Responsible for underlying staffing plan, and managing profitability
- Responsible for account forecasting, and delivery of work to that forecast
- Responsible for maintaining consistent, agreed fee structures for their clients
- Oversee and manage campaigns, including oversight and development of strategic recommendations. Responsible for the quality and consistency of all strategy and team output
- Support and mentor the Account Executives (AE) and Account Managers (AM) to deliver all campaign planning and implementation
- Understand Brand, Demand and Lead Generation, and how they strategically interact across the buyer journey
- Have a broad understanding of all media channels, including traditional, biddable, social, search, programmatic
- Responsible for quality, accuracy and consistency of the reporting across their campaigns
- Link insights to recommendations, optimizations and expansion of client activity
- Be a part of internal DWA reporting & analytics conversations, making recommendations of new technologies/abilities which could be relevant for the DWA tech stack
- Understand tagging & tracking methodologies, best practices, and emerging trends
- Training and mentorship of (where applicable) Assistant AE, AE and AM, managing their growth
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
- Birthday day off
- 25 days holiday
Diversity & Inclusion
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse and inclusive environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where ideas and contributions are actively encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry.
We have created seven Diversity and Inclusion Pillars. Each pillar is made up of a community of members who serve as role models and spread a message of inclusion throughout our global workplace. Pillar members are responsible for planning initiatives, events and training, along with championing change within our business. These pillars are Gender, Ethnicity, Mental Health, Religion, Disability, LGBT+, Parents & Carers.
Merkle is a place that embraces differences of opinion. To be an advocate for real change we really encourage applications from women, candidates with disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as we recognise that these groups are currently underrepresented in our marketing/technology industry.
- It is anticipated the appropriate candidate will have circa 5+ years’ experience, with at least 4 years focused online
- Exceptional leadership skills & management experience, demonstrated through staff development and ownership of department/agency initiatives
- Excellent track record of maintaining multiple client engagements at once and presenting growth opportunities to management
- Build trusting, collaborative relationships with clients of mid to senior levels
- Stay on top of business and client concerns to head off issues
- Capable of serving as a DWA ambassador and demonstrating grace in challenging internal/external scenarios
- Understand and demonstrate commercial acumen with client scoping, staffing and profitability
- Understanding of revenue to staffing relationship and motivation to improve metrics
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.