Senior Cloud Engineer
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. Combined with our expertise in performance creative and media, we can then offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer experiences that drive business growth.
In 2016, the agency joined dentsu, one of the world’s biggest media companies to form the Customer Experience Management (CXM) Line of Business.
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our Data Analytics Engineering team focused on delivering high quality solutions to clients, both internally and externally, with a focus on Media and Digital Analytics solutions.
The successful candidate will understand modern data platform architecture and have experience in troubleshooting complex cloud solutions, experience with media platforms such as the Google Marketing Platform is desirable. You will be a competent and enthusiastic team player, developing simple and sensible solutions that are scalable, utilizing appropriate technologies and engineering best practices.
The postholder will:
- Collaborate in the design, delivery and support of first-rate solutions for our clients across multi-cloud surfaces and development methodologies.
- Work closely with media delivery and analyst teams to develop integrated media analytics solutions.
- Work closely with local leadership as well as our global teams, integrating their key industry and specialist product knowledge, to shape and deliver client solutions.
- Provide Data Engineering support to our Data Scientists and Analytical Consultants working alongside them on complex client projects.
- Provide technical expertise and consultancy to clients to help them understand the power of big data analytics for their organization and use-cases.
- Provide technical support, mentoring and line management for Data Engineers.
- Take ownership of complex technical issues and challenges. Lead by example and set the pace for the Data Engineering community in terms of quality, consistency and mindset driven behaviours.
- Act as an ambassador for your team, function and Data Engineering. You’ll be enthusiastic and proud of your work; you’ll have plenty of opportunity to showcase your talents.
Life as a Senior Cloud Engineer in Analytics
In this role you will have the opportunity to work with clients from a wide range of sectors, understand their specific requirements, while liaising with data architects, data scientists and analytical consultants in order to design, develop and deliver the optimal technical solution.
You will typically work with a few clients at different stages of maturity, bringing variety to your work and the opportunity to develop new skills, improve your knowledge and gain experience. You will enjoy quite a bit of freedom to manage your own time and that of your Data Engineers in order to orchestrate the delivery of the Data Engineering products each project depends on for success.
You may be involved in more than one client project at a time, so you’ll need to have excellent planning and time management skills to ensure that you consistently meet timescales and quality metrics.
As a senior in the Data Engineering team, you will be expected to routinely share knowledge and experiences with your team-mates through informal showcases, demonstrations and Q&A’s. As a senior engineer you will occasionally be asked to prepare more detailed sessions, supported by the Data Architects, for leadership teams, senior client stakeholders and other areas of the business including sales pitches.
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- A selection of other benefits including ability to buy additional holiday, season ticket loan and 2 volunteer days
Diversity & Inclusion
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse and inclusive environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where ideas and contributions are actively encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry.
We have created seven Diversity and Inclusion Pillars. Each pillar is made up of a community of members who serve as role models and spread a message of inclusion throughout our global workplace. Pillar members are responsible for planning initiatives, events and training, along with championing change within our business. These pillars are Gender, Ethnicity, Mental Health, Religion, Disability, LGBT+, Parents & Carers.
Merkle is a place that embraces differences of opinion. To be an advocate for real change we really encourage applications from women, candidates with disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as we recognise that these groups are currently underrepresented in our marketing/technology industry.
What we are looking for in you
You will have a deep understanding of distributed computing, data and application architectures, basic networking, security, governance and infrastructure. You will be able to design and produce quality code to drive production-strength data pipelines and scalable systems.
A knowledge of Big Data with a focus on Data Engineering tools and techniques. You will be comfortable with, and have informed opinions on ELT/ETL, Data Modelling and a wide variety of Data Engineering tools and frameworks.
You’ll already be comfortable and confident with Google Cloud Platform and have an understanding of how Cloud systems interact with and enhance marketing and advertising technologies.
Essential skills and experience: -
- Knowledge / Experience / Certification in Google Cloud Platform including experience using:
- Google Cloud Storage / Google Functions / Google Big Query / Data Flow (Beam) / Composer (Airflow)
- Understanding of Principles of Cloud Governance.
- Working knowledge of Data Lake (& Engine) architectures & Warehouses.
- Understanding and comfortable around working with and consuming from API’s
- OS’s including Windows, Linux, Mac – also related shells and scripting languages.
- Excellent, demonstrable, capabilities in Python
- Excellent communication skills, able to cut across complexity to concisely and clearly convey status and actions required.
- Comfortable interacting with clients and colleagues via email, Teams, and where appropriate, in person.
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time.
Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.