Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specializes in the delivery of unique, personalized customer experiences across platforms and devices. For more than 30 years, Fortune 1000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with Merkle to maximize the value of their customer portfolios. The agency’s heritage in data, technology, and analytics forms the foundation for its unmatched skills in understanding consumer insights that drive people-based marketing strategies. Its combined strengths in performance media, customer experience, customer relationship management, loyalty, and enterprise marketing technology drive improved marketing results and competitive advantage. With 9,600+ employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, with 50+ additional offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network. For more information, contact Merkle at 1-877-9-Merkle or visit www.merkleinc.com.
The Cloud Engineer role within Merkle is responsible for cloud platform configuration and delivery along with providing Tier 3 support for customer solutions across multiple cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure). The candidate is the subject matter expert in one or more cloud platforms and is called upon for most complex assignments. The Cloud Engineer is responsible for timely delivery of client solutions, environment performance measurement, analysis and tuning in a cloud hosting environment. They keep up to date on industry trends and deliver the highest level of customer service possible.
The Cloud Engineer role will report to the Director of IT. The role will work with a team of geographically distributed Merkle staff and contract employees in support of client platform implementation and delivery.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and implementation/delivery of global, cost effective, enterprise-class cloud-based platforms following DevOps practices, while maintaining compliance with all company policies, procedures and standards.
- Participate in the development of cloud technology roadmaps that align with overall company strategy and vision of re-platforming and/or moving on-premises solutions to public cloud.
- Provide support for all aspects of cloud technologies with a heavy focus on new solution configuration by supporting delivery architects and developers to ensure on-time delivery of new cloud-based platforms. This includes on-call and after-hours support, participation in the incident triage, and following a sound troubleshooting process.
- Act as a coach and mentor for less experienced team members.
- Lead innovation, standardization, and automation of cloud deployments within the IT organization.
- Lead within discipline to develop best practices, case studies, training materials, and whitepapers. Present at Architecture Review Board, Lunch and Learn sessions, and training sessions.
- Anticipate risks and constraints and proactively work on solutions to address the risk/constraints, escalating as appropriate.
- Gather system configuration requirements, develop the platform delivery plan for solution and services milestones, managing expectations and coordinating delivery with developers and other client specific team members.
- Maintain in-depth awareness and fluency of the key features, functions, and/or industry trends around the area of expertise.
- Lead the evaluation process and recommend all product standards for Merkle cloud hosted infrastructure.
- Platform Ownership for cloud based technology. A Platform Owner is responsible for:
- Leading the technology councils for cloud platforms
- Determining and reporting on the availability of cloud platforms
- Monitoring and alerting – Ensure the primary platform functionality is properly monitored
- Backups and Recovery – Ensure critical data is identified/protected and a recovery model is in place and periodically tested leveraging modern cloud based models (snapshots, versioning, replication)
- Capacity management – Develop capacity models including dynamic/elastic solutions, measure utilization and establish and maintain forecasts
- Incident tracking – Track the incidents that have occurred on the platform and the remediation activities performed
- Develop and present environmental metrics
- Health checks – Periodic evaluation of the platform to ensure it is operating optimally
- Creation and maintenance of product guides
- Drive automation of repeatable tasks
- Lifecycle Management – Ensure that software and cloud platforms are up to date
- Cloud Platform – Ensure that our deployments are supported by the vendor and pro-actively plan for a refresh when required.
- Software – Software follow the N-1 rule for major release
- Uphold and promote Merkle’s core values and culture
Measures of Success:
- Consistently deliver Cloud based client platform configurations that exceed customer expectations on-time/budget.
- Successfully resolve technical incidents/service requests in support of client platform development and delivery efforts with a high level of quality, escalating where appropriate.
- Demonstrate a high level of customer service.
- Participate in the development of Merkle’s technology vision and strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a team and share knowledge with team members.
- Implementation and adoption of support processes and structures sufficient to ensure system stability and user satisfaction.
- Attain and maintain “expert level” recognition in select areas by IT Leadership and peers.
- Contribute to the development and evolution of reference architectures.
- Positive recognition as noted on Employee and Customer satisfaction surveys, completed on a periodic basis.
- Expert Knowledge in Amazon Web services or Google Cloud Platform
- Deep understanding of cloud security concepts including Firewall, VPC’s, Encryption, Authentication and Authorization (SSO, Active Directory/LDAP etc) strategies
- Additional experience with other major cloud providers including Azure highly desired
- Proven experience with common DevOps tools such as Jenkins, Spinnaker, GitLab, GitHub, BitBucket, etc
- Experience with Docker, general Kubernetes or cloud specific deployments
- Awareness of critical concepts in DevOps and Agile principles
- Enterprise productization processes, including developing product guides, asset management, data protection, capacity management, performance management, and lifecycle management.
Demonstrate the ability to:
- Meet project deadlines and manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects while adhering to a time allocation model
- Assess the scope and impact of incidents and respond, with a sense of urgency that matches the incident, following appropriate policies and procedures
- Multi-task, prioritize, manage workload and adapt to changing business conditions
- Tolerate stressful situations and remain focused under pressure
- Effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Manage through conflict and challenging situations with positive outcomes for the clients and Merkle.
- Develop and cultivate strategic relationships that benefit IT and Merkle.
- Make decisions and judgments based on standard procedures.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Contribute to Managed Hosting standards and best practices for processes, procedures, and technical standards.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required and Master’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science preferred
- 10+ years of experience supporting and implementing enterprise-class solutions operating in a 24/7 environment.
- 3+ years professional experience in designing technology solutions
- Certifications within engineering discipline and Cloud industry (AWS, GCP or Azure) certifications are highly desired.
At Merkle, we believe that a diverse environment improves us as a community and as a business. We want to foster an environment of growth, where all ideas and contributions are encouraged. We need this culture of courage to continue to thrive in our fast-paced industry. We embrace differences of opinion. We value diversity of experience and thought, which help us to challenge and define industry-leading solutions, and support our goal of being a great place to work.
Merkle fosters a diverse environment that encourages original thinking about our business and empowers us to communicate with a global world of customers. We embrace differences of opinion and diversity of thought as they help us challenge and refine our solutions. Merkle, as a best-in-class marketing agency, welcomes big ideas, and believes they can come from anywhere.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.